Chapter One:The Dreadful Night

This night was a night that Hadrian Rene Potter will never forget. This was the night that everything changed for the whole wizarding world but most importantly this was the night that changed Hadrian Potter's life as he knew it.

It was a cold night as expected for it was October 31st when the gate to the Potter cottage in Godrics Hollow creaked open, as a hooded figure glided effortlessly up towards the front door. Alina Evans was babysitting that night for her daughter and son-in-law while they attended to a very important meeting.

Alina had just put the children to bed and was making herself some hot chocolate so she could sit and read a good book on magical creatures while waiting for her daughter and son-in-law to return. When the hot chocolate had been made she stood in the kitchen while putting marshmallows and cream on top with sprinkles. (because who doesn't love sprinkles?)

There was a sudden blast as the front door came off its hinges. Before Alina could even set her cup down on the counter a green bolt of light was shot right at her chest. Her body slowly slumped against the cupboards before it fell to the ground in a sitting up position as the cup smashed on the kitchen floor as her arms dropped.

The hooded figure looked at the woman whose eyes were wide open with fear as she laid there motionless on the ground but he wasn't here for her, he was here for the child. He then proceeded up the stairs to the bedroom above where there would two children soundlessly sleeping in their cots.

The hooded figure knew that the Potter's had two children but what he didn't know was wich one the prophecy spoke of. There was a 4 year old in the cot to the right and a 1 year old in the cot to the left. They had now both woken up at the sound of the man scrambling up the stairs to reach them qiuckly as he knew he would only have a limited amount of time before their parent came back.

As he entered the nursery he looked at the two children, he felt sad as he knew that one would not live to see another day. The child on the left had light brown hair that seemed untamable even at his young age. He sumerised that there was nothing special nor powerful about this young boy so the child from the prophecy had to be the older one.

This child was curious about this weird man now standing in his and his younger brothers bedroom. As the man stared at his brother he studied the man. He was wearing a long cloak that went down to his feet and had a hood on the cloak that was partly covering the mans head the man also had a snakey looking face. The boy now realised that the weird man was looking at him.

Killing curse Green eyes met blood red eyes as they both looked at eachother as the figure slowly turned around. The figure was met by the sight of a small boy with luscious Raven hair and hauntingly beautiful green eyes, they were so bright that they rivalled the killing curse itself. The child just looked at him with curiosity not like the younger boy who was now crying and screaming at the top of his lungs.The figure stopped his wailing with a flick of his wand so now the child was crying and screaming silently.

Most people, even grown men when looking apon the man in the cloak had fear in their eyes. But this child was staring at him defiantly as if daring him to do what he was set out to. The man let out a soft chuckle "Yes, you are definitely the one from the prophecy young Harry. You would've been a great wizard I'm sure. But I'm sorry little one I can not allow you to stand in my way. I hope you have a good afterlife. I shall make this as painless as possible. I'm sorry young Harry I really am. "

With that he pointed his wand at the young child and shot the killing curse at him as a lone tear trickled from the mans eye going all the way to his jaw before falling onto the floor with a little splash as it hit the foor boards before sinking slowly into the wood. But as if in slow motion the curse bounced off an invisible sheild and ricoched back at the man striking him in the chest.

The last thing the man saw was them haunting green eyes as tears pooled in the bottem of them before slowly closing. The roof caved in and a shard of glass slashed an X onto the arm of young Charles who started screaming even more than before and you could here it now as the one who cast the silencing charm was no more than a long cloak in the middle of the room that crumpled in on itself.

***At the meeting***

Everyone was seated around the table in 12 Grimwald Place. Dumbledore sat at the head of the table looking at a map in front of him. Voldemort and his followers had been extremely quiet recently and it was starting to worry him. Dumbledore knew that Tom had heard of the Prophecy spoken by Trelawney so he instructed the Potters and Longbottoms to go into hiding and when things got quite they could then join in on the war effort.

Suddenly James Potter sprung up from his seat shouting "no no no no no no no!" with tear in his eyes and he rushed out of the meeting to the nearest apparition point.

Lily's eyes widened as she realised why her husband had gotten so upset and ran off. Having felt the wards around the cottage fall. She also rushed to her feet yelling" oh no! Hadrian! Charles!please be safe!! " This got everyone's attention.

Dumbledore and Mcgonagall then ran after lilly who had gone the same way as her husband did moments earlier and disappeared with a pop to only reappear outside of the cottage with James and lily.

They all raced after James as he was the first arrive. The first thing they saw was that the door was gone but they still had hope that the children and lilies mother were okay inside the house. Then when they got inside they noticed something on the floor coming out of the kitchen, they knew it wasn't blood so they were a bit careful when walking over whatever it was.

As James looked in the kitchen tears came out of his eyes one at a time but he wasn't sobbing. Lily on the other hand was a different case, as she looked down at her mother laying lifeless broken cup still in hand she broke down sobbing and held on to James for support.

After Lily had calmed down a little she heard a cry of little Charles from up stairs and remembered about the children. She turned towards the stairs and sprinted up them.

Lily picked up the crying Charles as James came in and went over to them he spotted the X from the glass on Charles' arm "Hey its okay lils" he soothed as she was still crying "look I think he has the mark" He stated pointing to Charles' arm. Dumbledore walked over it inspect the mark and it seemed to him that Charles was the-boy-who-lived.

As they all fussed over Charles who was still screaming, Mcgonagall moved towards Harry's cot and picked up the boy. Her godson looked absolutely drained. "Albus, there's something wrong with Harry." she stated frantically as the boy didn't wake when she shook his shoulder.

Dumbledore waved his wand over Harry and sighed. "He'll be fine Minerva, he just passed out due to all the magic backlash. Huh strange... Seems the boy has almost no magic at all. He's practically a squib!" Dumbledore exclaimed and turned to leave the room.

Mcgonagall looked down at the sleeping boy in her arms." Albus must be loosing it at his old age. "she muttered to herself. She knew the difference between the signs of magical exhaustion and someone being a squib. Hadrian would be a powerful wizard one day. And she would help him along the way.

This night was a dreadful night and one that started many more to come.

(1431)words