Society

Dedicated to: shbfsezo                               

A solar lamp was lighting just one particular room of the entire orphanage in pitch gloomy night. The entire orphanage was exhausted and sleeping preparing themselves for another brawling day of life. The baby was profoundly in slumber in his cradle wrapped in a warm blanket just next to the boy who was busy solving practice questions and preparing for the entrance exam. He yawned and stretched his body feeling drowsy and fatigued due to sitting for a long time. He closed his eyes and rested his head on the table hands snugly curled under his head. He startled opened his eyes when a hand stroked his hair. The touch was familiar so he harmoniously again shut his eyes close and kept leaning his head on the table and held the fragile wrinkled hand in his own soft tender hand.

"Uncle Ben why are still awake it's too late at night? Plan asked still holding his hand and not even doing an effort to open his weary eyes.

"How did you recognize me without opening your eyes. I am sure I don't use any perfume so it's not possible to recognize my presence by smell." Uncle Ben asked smiling as he sat on the chair next to Plan.

"How can I not recognize these hands which wrinkled in front of me? The hands that crinkled taking care of us. The man who gave us all this youth taking care of us. How can I not recognize him?" Plan finally elevated his head to look at the debilitated old wrinkled man. Uncle Ben just smiled and caressed his head and placed a plate of snacks and juice on the table. Plan glanced at him with questionable eyes.

"When you were young and used to study for school exams late at night you loved to eat late-night snacks. So I thought maybe you know?" Uncle Ben said a bit awkwardly having a second thought maybe Plan's habits were changed now. He is an after-all nineteen-year adult now.

"Thank you so much uncle, Ben. So thoughtful of you. I am literally terrified and also excited for this exam. God knows what is going to happen. Once I will clear the exam. I will surprise everyone with this news." Plan said dreamily thinking about the upcoming future sipping the juice and eating snacks.

"Plan you know that I love you right" Uncle Ben becomes serious at once. He held Plan's hand rubbing it gently.

"Of course, I know uncle I know you are my family. I know you love me. Is everything ok? Why this all of the sudden." Plan asked bewildered by the way uncle Ben was talking something inside him was scaring him. The terror of something again getting wrong before something good happens in his life.

"Of course, everything is alright. I just wanted to talk. Since you are preparing for a big exam of your life. I wanted to have a conversation like a father-son. I know I am not your genetic father and I can never be but believe me, for me you are no less than my son. I have always cared extra for you than any other kid in the orphanage especially after what you have faced in past. I have always tried to be your father rather than a caretaker. I want to talk about your exam. Plan failure is part of our life. Everybody has plans ready for what happens after one succeeds but if by any chance one fails nobody is equipping them to deal with failure nobody even wants to talk about it. Plan believe me whatever will be your result your uncle Ben will be the same. I will judge you for your hard work, not for your failure. If something wrong happens and by any chance, you won't be able to make it into the college don't do something idiotic or be disappointed. We will fight with it together. If you will succeed in this exam we will sit and drink beer and celebrate your success together but even if you will fail we will sit and drink beer together to celebrate your hard work. Just remember one thing your dream doesn't have an expiry date. You just have to take a breathe and try again." Uncle Ben spoke every word with a quiver in it. He wanted to prepare Plan for whatever going to come next in the hope history won't repeat itself and Plan will remain strong enough to take whatever the result is.