Chapter 8 - The Moment They Knew

For the past few days, Theo and Kat had been in their own little world. Theo had told his job that he was ill and needed a few days to recover. Kat was told she would return to work next Wednesday because her temp was still hired on. They never left the house apart from sitting outside on the back patio. 

They would stay up all night to watch the sunrise, then they would sleep until noon. Repeat. Acting like school kids on the playground by Theo chasing her around the large house, ending up having sex on whatever surface they were closest to. Afterwards, they would slump over on whatever they were on and talk about the things no one knew about them. 

Theo heard all about Kat's childhood. The way she was raise by her Aunt CeCe because her parents bailed on her. When asked if she held any sort of resentment, Kat smiled and shook her head. She said they were just free spirits that weren't ready for a baby. She said it was better to be raised by someone who was. 

Kat was told all about Theo's adventures, most of which included Draco and him being drunk. His mother died young, she was sick and the Healers didn't catch it in time. He told her about the affairs his father was having and how he was with another woman the day his mother died. Kat felt her heart ache for him. 

She explained that she had always been passionate about magical creatures and hoped to change the world for them one day, any way she could. She confided in him about her feelings about Ron, telling him that she didn't understand why her best friend could be so cruel. Theo related to her by saying the same thing about Blaise Zabini. 

Apparently, Blaise was one of the many remaining purebloods that believed in blood supremacy. Draco and Theo both tried to change his mind but it was drilled too far in his head. That's why he married some pureblood from France. 

They were getting ready for Malfoy's Annual Charity Gala. It was a formal event and Draco promised them both it was sure to be a boring evening but the booze was free. That's all Theo really needed to accept the invitation. Well, that and the fact that he had to be there for business. 

Theo informed her that they have prior donations to take care of and that he might step away for an hour or so. She was told she could hang out with Astoria and Pansy while she waited on him but the choice was ultimately up to her. 

Draco insisted the ladies get ready at his home so the men could get stuff together before the gala. They were required to be escorted in by their husbands, and this would make it easier for them to stay together. 

"Katherine, it's lovely to see you again. You've filled out since Hogwarts." Luna said, motioning her big eyes to her chest. Kat laughed and embraced the blonde witch, probably squeezing her too tight. 

"It's good to see you too, Luna." She said, placing a chaste kiss to her cheek. 

"Alright, time to get you and Astoria ready for your dashing wizards!" Pansy exclaimed, clapping her hands together before placing a kiss to Luna's cheek. "Astoria, why didn't Draco wear the blue robes? They bring out his eyes more."

"I tried to tell him, Pans." Astoria said, rolling her eyes. 

The makeup team had entered to begin on Kat's face. Astoria sensed her discomfort and reached over to give her leg a little squeeze. Pansy let Luna wear and do her makeup however she wanted and Kat found herself wishing she was in her shoes. 

They let Kat keep her makeup simple but classic. Her winged liner made her brown eyes pop and the red lipstick made her look like a pin up from the 60s. She was now sitting in the bathroom, leaning against the wall and staring at her dress.