Chapter 2 - Music

Music is my life. Sure, people say that all the time. But music is my life. For as long as I can remember, I've been singing and playing instruments. It makes me feel more connected to my parents. They were musicians like I am. Music is my everything. It gives me hope and I don't think I could live without it. It makes me happy and makes me feel whole and safe inside. But before I continue, let me tell you about myself.

I hated school. And that's saying a lot. I used to be a complete nerd after my parents died. It felt like a part of me died. People thought I was weird and didn't like me. I would talk to no one and have my nose in books. But, after a few years of completely cutting myself off from the rest of the world, I discovered music again. After my parents left, I never picked up a guitar or a keyboard, or a microphone. I felt too broken. Then Gyatso came along. He loved me. We spent hours and hours on end together. It made me feel good. He encouraged me to start playing music again. I can't even tell you how much fun we had. He would listen to me play for hours and wouldn't get bored. He understood me.

"Aang? AANG!" Katara's voice rang through my ears, snapping me out of my trance.

"Huh?" I shook my head and looked at her. Her blue eyes looked into mine with concern.

"Do you need any help?" She asked.

"Help with what?" I was confused.

"Your mental wellbeing," She told me, slowly while rolling her eyes. I almost laughed at the way she said that, but I stopped myself, seeing she was being serious.

"Oh! I'm good on that for now," I smiled jokingly. All those years of seeing nothing but books had gotten me pretty mentally stable. Of course, there were other things, too.

"Do you play any instruments?" She asked abruptly. The question took me by surprise, I didn't know what to say.

"I..don't," I lied. Oh, I play, and I play a lot of instruments.

"Because... I sing," I looked at my shoes and laughed. "I'm not very good though."

"I sing sometimes," Katara said.

"That's nice. Your brother plays guitar, right?" I looked at her, waiting for an answer.

"Yeah," She replied while pointing to the guitar next to Sokka's bed.

This is awkward. We keep having these weird pauses. Why is it so hard to talk to girls? Sokka and Zuko were out doing something fun and I'm here having the most awkward conversation in the world with the most beautiful girl. Wait, what?

My phone made a beeping noise and vibrated. It was Gyatso asking about college so far.

Gyatso 💨: Hello Aang. How's college? I've been good. Went out for a walk today.

Me: Good, I made some friends and I'm just getting my dorm setup.

Gyatso 💨: That's nice. Appa and Momo can't wait to see you.

I smiled at the thought of Appa, my white sheep-dog. He was the cutest, fluffiest thing in the world. He was there with me when my parents died. Momo was a present for my 12th birthday a few years ago. A white cat with blue eyes and a long tail.

Gyatso 💨: Aang? Are you there?

Me: Sorry, I zoned out there. I was thinking about someone...

Gyatso 💨: Well, I'll let you go to your lady friend 😉. Have a good day.

Me: Okay, bye.

That ended our conversation. I noticed Katara talking to Sokka. I walked out onto the balcony, looking at the sunset.

"What's wrong?" Katara walked up to me. Let's hope this isn't going to be awkward.

"Nothing. I'm just thinking," I responded, hoping she wouldn't interrogate further.

"About what?" She asked.

"No! She asked that question! AHHH!" My brain raced.

My heart rate sped up.

"About you?" I said, doubtful of my words. It had been partly true, so I wouldn't consider it a lie. But there was more to it.

"What?" She looked at me like I was crazy. Which, considering my idiotic reply, I probably was. It looked like she was about to burst with laughter. "Me?"

I laughed. What did I do? I just made this awkward. Katara tilted her head and looked at me like I was a new species of idiots. Yes, yes, I am.

Why do I get like this around her? Do I..like her? She made me go crazy. In a good way, I don't know. I'm happy, but I'm also confused. I get butterflies in my stomach when she laughs. But that's probably because of the food I had on the plane on the way here. Ba Sing Se Airlines isn't the best. It was all I could afford.

"AANG!" Katara sighed. I could tell she was getting frustrated by my content zoning out. But, I still stayed focused on my spot on the wall.

"Hello? Earth to Aang?" Katara said her voice bursting in to my head.

I turned my attention back to her and she quickly moved back, flustered. I flashed her a smile and stood up. I reached my hand out for her to hold and she gladly took it.