Chapter 6 - Be Mine

(Aang's POV)

"BEEEP!" My alarm shrieked, signaling for me to wake up. I opened my eyes. It was a new day. I knew to set my alarm earlier, so when Katara came in to fetch Sokka, I was ready to greet her. I mostly wake up when it goes off. Sometimes I'm so tired that I don't hear it.

The first couple of school weeks have gone by well, except for some Jet problems. Katara and I weren't 'official' yet, but I'm gonna ask her soon. Something buzzed on the table next to me and I picked up my phone. It was Katara.

Katara 💖

Katara: heyyy, gm!

Me: gm. Do you need smth?

Katara: nope. just going for a walk. U wanna come?

sure, lets go

ok. i'm coming now.

k. I'll be waiting.

I set my phone down and pulled on some shorts, a shirt, and my running shoes.

I opened the door, to find Katara standing there.

(No POV)

"Aang! Good morning!" Katara whisper-yelled, wrapping her arms around Aang's neck and looking up.

"Someone missed me," Aang said, laughing, breaking the silence.

"Noooo. Let's just go," Katara said, turning red and starting to walk on the pebble-covered path that leads to the main buildings.

Aang caught up and grabbed her hand and started to run while dragging her behind him.

"Aang! Wait!" Katara struggled to keep up.

Aang and Katara walked for a while. After reaching a bench, Katara sat, catching her breath.

Aang knew that he was going to ask her. Right then.

"Katara? Can I ask you something?" Aang asked, sitting next to her.

"Of course, Aang. What is it?" Katara asked, looking at him.

"So, uh, I- willyoubemygirlfriend?" Aang asked, blushing.

"What?" Katara asked, tilting her head in question.

"Um, will you be my girlfriend?" Aang smiled nervously, fidgeting with his fingers behind his back. He slowly swayed from left to right, expecting an answer.

"I-" Katara started, unable to find words.

"Never mind. It's okay if you don't. I guess this is a little rush-," Aang rambled on, waving his hands around and trying to describe the situation. His face was an unmistakable shade of red and he was shuffling his feet across the sidewalk floor, making a shifting noise.

Katara leaned in and pushed her lips against Aang's and cupped his cheeks. Aang snaked his hands onto Katara's waist and tilted his head. A few moments later, they pulled back, their faces flushed red.

"Does that answer your question?"

"Yes."

Katara and Aang walked back hand in hand, just in time to get ready for school. Aang went to take a shower, and Katara did too.

(Aang's POV)

I was showering, minding my own business when someone knocked on the door. "Who could that be?" My mind raced. I turned off the water and wrapped my towel around myself.

"Come in," I said, quickly drying my hands on the towel.

The door opened with a creak, revealing Katara. She was wearing a baby blue tank top with some denim jeans to go with. Girls are fast.

"Hey. You ready?" Katara asked, looking at my red face.

"Oh! Yeah! I just gotta throw my clothes on," I replied pointing to my clothes, sitting folded. The colored shirts and pants were neatly arranged on top of each other, the colors blinding.

"Ok, I'll let you do that," Katara said, closing the door.

After I got dressed, I put on my backpack and grabbed my phone, to see some chats from our group chat.

                                                                          The Squad

Sokka: hey, who yall have rn?

Katara: English, what do u want

Toph (audio message): Hey, what are you two doing?

 Me: just walking and talking and going to class

Toph: sureeee

Sokka: wdym toph?

Zuko: I'm confused

Katara: whatever the bell just rang, im headed to class

Me: bye goin to class rn

I walked through the busy hallways of Four Nations High. The school itself is out of a novel because of the large pillars that were placed on the sides along with ornate carvings of dragons, flowers, bison, and symbols. It seemed like a museum.

"We are going to be learning the basics of Literature. Let's start with one of the most recognized play writers, Shakespeare. He started his..."

Katara was intently listening to the teacher ramble on about Shakespeare, while I tuned him out, not listening to what he had to say. My head rested on my hand, staring blankly at the board. There were drawings of Shakspeare, little paragraphs of information scattered like trash across the chalkboard and I could barely decipher the messy handwriting.

(Katara's POV)

I saw Aang start to nod off. I didn't want him to get in trouble, so I tapped his shoulder and his head shot up. I giggled as I saw his face turn red. He didn't know what we were doing. I rolled my eyes and handed him my notes to copy. He gladly took them, shot me a smile, copied them, and passed them back across the wooden desk to me. I could tell why he zoned out, Shakespeare was not a particularly interesting topic. I'd much prefer hanging out with my friends, or Aang, at our dorm.

(No POV)

The bell rang around half-an-hour later, signaling the end of class. Aang looked at Katara and they shoved their stuff into their backpacks, heading towards Math.

~Later~

The end of lunch has just started, and the Gaang was walking towards the band room when there was a Jet encounter.

"Hey, nerds, you going to practice your instruments with the rest of those wimps?" Jet asked, making fun of them.

"We prefer the term intellectual badass," Katara smirked while Jet's grin faltered, and they kept walking, trying to avoid Jet.

"C'mon Katara, let's ditch school," Jet smirked, grabbing Katara's hand and tugging her toward the double doors at the end of the hallway.

"Let go of me!" Katara shrieked, trying to get out of his grip. The purple started showing up from the edges of her wrist.

Jet continued to pull her, that is until Aang stepped up.

"She told you to let go of her. Leave her alone. NOW!" Aang yelled through gritted teeth while stepping closer to Katara and Jet.

"And who are you? Her boyfriend?" Jet asked, glaring at Aang. If looks could kill, Aang would've been gone long before.

"Matter of fact, I am her boyfriend. And if you don't let her go, I'll make you regret it," Aang replied, and everyone except Jet and Katara's jaws dropped.

"Whatever," Jet said, letting go of Katara and walking away.

Later, the bell rang, telling the Gaang that class was over. They groaned, walking out of the band room, talking about the assignment they were given. Remember the 'Battle of the Bands' thing? Well, now it was required.