Chapter 15- Bit by Bit

One step at a time. It was a common thing people said, take this bit buy bit or do what you can at that moment. It was my mind set for coming back, take your time, do it slowly. 

I lugged my bag in the hall, where I was met by Nat.

"Hey, hungover?"

"I'm better than I excepted to be, all things considering."

"I wonder how much we did drink last night?"

"Simple answer, too much"

I was chatting with Nat and Tony when, who I know refer to as Devils Spawn, walked by with that smile on his face. Jerk. I couldn't wait to take him down in sparing, it was gonna be fun. Nat decided to helped me up to my room. I was on the same floor as Bucky, a fact that I should have remembered seeing as I have lived here for so long. 

Nat dropped my bags off and left me to un-pack my things. I was minding my own business when there was a knock at the door. Please  let it be Bucky coming to make peace, I'm not sure how much more of this I could take.

It was Steve. Sorry no, it was Devils Spawn.

Of course the one person that I didn't want to see, decided to come visit. I wasn't however going to tolerate his bullshit, not today.

"So, the run away has returned home!"

"Steve, I'm not in the mood to put up with you"

"Well I've managed to break you and Bucky up, what should I do next? Maybe I should kick you off the team, that could be fun. Next I'll-"

Yeah I might have lifted him up using my powers and flung him out of my bedroom. I kept him on the ground so I could properly get my point across.

"Let me make this clear. I don't like you. You have lit fires and you are doing your best to keep them burning. Next time you say anything to me or to Bucky, I would hesitate to throw you out the god damn widow, instead of just my room. You haven't broken us up because I'll fight to fix it . Now stay the hell away from me."

I turned to see Bucky staring at me. Well at least something got him out of his room. I didn't say anything to him, choosing to just return to my room. Steve finally took a hint and left me alone. 

Shortly after it was time for dinner. I sat at the opposite end of the table from Bucky, making it known that I still wasn't impressed with him. I was having fun, catching up with my team mates and getting to know others much better. After dinner, a movie was organised and everyone settled down to watch it.

It wasn't that late when we decided to head off to bed, I wasn't too tired. I changed and got into bed. I knew I wasn't gonna be able to sleep without sorting something out with Bucky. He had me on edge, I needed to speak to him, it was driving me crazy. I know I said I wasn't making the first move, but if I didn't, I would have lost it. 

I reached his closed door and took a deep breath before placing a simple knock on his door. A muffled 'come in' allowed me to make my entrance.

"Hey.."

"Y/N I'm so so-"

"I don't wanna hear that. You know how mad I was that you thought I would do that, that I would betray you?"

"I know, I just-"

"You believed Steve. I get that he's your friend but he said something like that to you and you didn't even ask me if I did it, you just took his word a fact, without even seeing if any of it was true! Why the hell would I do something like that! Don't you see how ridiculous of a lie that was?!"

"I'm sorry! I could apologise for the rest of my life if that's what you want!"

"No it's not! You didn't trust me! You say you love me but you can't trust me"

"No stop that! Don't for a second say or imply that I don't love you! I would do anything for you and you know that!"

"You say that but then don't believe I would do the same thing!"

The room went to silence. I didn't know what else to do or what else I should say to him. I decided to just leave it for the night, I needed to sleep on it.

"I'm going to bed.."

I turned to leave when I felt a hand wrap around my wrist. It stopped my tracks but I didn't turn around.

"Bucky you can't just hold me and think that everything gonna be okay.."

He didn't listen. I still faced the door as he wrapped his arms around me. It felt so good to be back in his arms. I knew I shouldn't of stayed with him, I knew there was so much more we needed to fix but I still stood there, without moving. 

Slowly I turned back to him, holding him. The room was silent, neither of us choosing to make a sound. No words were needed. The world could pass us by, we just wanted to stay in this moment forever. Finally, my brain said no and my body acted. I pulled away and made my way back to my room. 

God I was stupid. I loved him too much to and I couldn't stay mad for him. I wanna be mad, I really do but I just can't. I needed it sleep and maybe my head would be clearer in the morning. I mean one step at a time was just completely thrown out the window. I should throw Steve out the window, that could be fun..