Chapter 4

******

"Harry, are you...?"

Looking up from his Potions essay, Harry gave Neville a blank stare. "What?"

"Gay?" Neville asked quietly, the fingers holding the tip of his quill twitching.

"What? No!" Harry exploded, looking around them nervously to see if anyone was listening. Luckily the common room was nearly empty at this hour. "Why would you ask that?"

"Well," Neville swallowed nervously. "Because of something Professor Mason said. About the Goblet pairing people up based on sexual compatibility."

From the look on Harry's face, it was obvious that he'd completely forgotten about that. Neville quickly tried to backtrack. "I'm sorry, I wasn't implying... I mean, I know you're not-"

"No, I'm not." Harry growled between clenched teeth, ending the discussion by going back to work on his essay.

Neville looked dejected. He hadn't meant to upset Harry, but he'd been rather curious. The other boys were a little too quick to dismiss the Goblet's decision as a fluke, but Neville open to a more insightful interpretation.

He was about to turn his attention back to his own dreadful Potions work when he heard the painting swing open and two tittering female voices approaching. Lavender and Parvati were in good spirits, it seemed. He grinned slightly, happy that he wasn't making Lavender miserable anymore. 

Just then she looked up and saw him, still smiling brightly at something Parvati had said. She stopped, the smile slipping from her face instantly. Parvati gave her a worried look, placing a hand on her arm.

"Lavender..." Neville began timidly.

Shaking off Parvati's hand, Lavender turned and fled the room. Parvati gave Neville a sympathetic frown before following her friend. Neville closed his eyes and dropped his head down onto his parchment. He felt Harry's light pat on his back and wondered just which one of them had it worse off; the one stuck with another boy that he hated, or the one stuck with the girl that he secretly loved, who hated him.

***

"Cuddling." 

Professor Mason walked between the rows of plush, soft pillows strewn on the floor. Her students were crowded in the back of the room, uncertain about coming forward. 

"Today you will establish a higher level of intimacy with your partner. I want you to choose a spot here on the floor and get comfortable while I speak. Sit with you assigned partner, and you must be touching them. Now, please."

Everyone moved forward in one rush, taking their partner's hand and pointing to favorable places on the floor; except for Harry and Draco. 

Both boys moved forward a few paces and sat down in the nearest available open space, on separate pillows. Harry looked over to where Neville and Lavender were sitting to see his friend attempting to coax Lavender to lay her head on a pillow he'd placed his lap. When the girl stubbornly refused, he leaned in close and murmured something in her ear. She stiffened, but relented, curling up on her side with her head resting comfortably in Neville's lap. The boy looked over at Harry and smiled before placing his hand on Lavender's shoulder and rubbing in small circles. 

Harry looked away, suddenly uncomfortable.

"Misters Malfoy and Potter, we are once again waiting on the two of you," said Mason. "Please do not continue to hold up my class."

Harry and Draco looked at one another, both of their expressions defiant. Neither wanted to be the one to assign themselves the 'girl' role in this exercise.