Chapter 6

Rosemary Mason, in her full decade of teaching, had never witnessed two more difficult students than the ones currently sneaking hateful glances at each other in between bites of sandwich. 

Sighing, she rubbed her forehead with her thumb and index finger and returned her attention to assessing the day's lesson. She had noticed quite a bit of pink energy coming from the Longbottom and Brown booth... She smiled. Those two would prove to be quite the match; not so much in power, but in true compatibility. 

The thought brought her back around to the two boys in front of her. They had such potential. At first, she had imagined that the animosity between them would only fuel the heights to which their magic would take them, but she was beginning to have doubts. None of the initially tumultuous pairings she'd had before had genuine reasons to hate each other. The usual schoolchild teasing, hair-pulling and whatnot, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. These two, on the other hand, were on opposite sides of a war. 

Rosemary moved her gaze to Draco and felt her heart clench, as it always did when she dwelt too long upon certain students. She couldn't bring herself to imagine any of them doing the things that Death Eaters did. It seemed impossible for these smooth-cheeked innocents. If she were completely honest with herself, she would admit her hope that the pairing between the Malfoy boy and Potter would win him over to the other side. That they would both be stronger for it, and it could possibly make the difference between winning the war or losing it. Between life or death, for the both of them.

The door handle clacked loudly in the silence, and Minerva McGonagall entered, sparing a brief smile for Harry before making her way over to Rosemary's desk. 

"Rosemary, I tried to get in touch with you earlier, but you were unavailable," she said briskly. "The staff meeting has been moved."

"Oh, alright," Mason blinked, confused. "Why?"

McGonagall didn't answer and her eyes slid to the side, silently indicating the two boys nearby. Nodding her understanding, Mason stood and motioned the Transfigurations professor to one of the booths. A marvelous insight on her part to have made the curtains soundproof. 

"We're meeting in the Headmaster's office," McGonagall said in a low voice once the curtain was closed. 

"I thought it was sealed up?"

"It was," said McGonagall with a loaded look in her eye. "We have a guest."

"Oh," Rosemary breathed, her mouth open slightly. "I see."

"I'll see you at eight o'clock. The password is lemon drops."

Rosemary smiled fondly and saw its reflection in the other woman. Unexpected guests were a happy occasion.

***

"It's time, boys," Mason told them, glancing at the clock as she held back the curtain to their booth. "You don't have long, as I have an engagement this evening. In you go."

Harry and Draco dropped their half-eaten sandwiches reluctantly. Apparently the silently agreed upon ruse to eat as many sandwiches as their stomachs could handle hadn't worked. They'd gotten as far as five before she caught on to them. Moving more slowly than was strictly necessary, they made their way into the tent and turned to face Mason. 

"Fifteen minutes, on the lips. No stalling," she told them, dropping the curtain into place.

Harry and Draco eyed one another skeptically in the muted light of the booth. Neither boy moved, most definitely stalling despite Mason's order. Their anger from earlier seemed a distant memory, having been replaced by a dizzying anxiety.