Chapter 7

Tuesday evening found Harry poring over Charms notes from the past six years- Hermione's of course- in preparation for an impromptu practice NEWT exam the next day. Covering the pages with one hand and staring at the floor, Harry cursed freely and frequently as he attempted to recite the incantations from memory.

A flash of scarlet seen out of the corner of his eye was his only warning before the rolls of parchment were snatched out of his hands.

"Give those over!" Ron demanded, plopping down into the chair across from him. "I'm so buggered for this test. Do you know how long it's been since I've studied Charms?"

"We'll fail it together, then," Harry groaned, passing a hand over his weary eyes.

Ron snorted in agreement, skimming over the notes in a hectic rustle of paper. After a while, his eyes began to dart between the pages and Harry, sneaking furtive glances at him when he thought he wasn't looking. Harry thought he knew what was on his best friend's mind, and intentionally avoided his gaze.

"Uh, Harry?" 

Harry nearly groaned out loud when he heard Ron's unusually timid voice break the silence. 

"What?" he asked testily, and hoped that Ron would take it as grumpiness over their upcoming test.

"Er," Ron paused, glancing back down at the notes nervously. "Neville said that you all had to kiss your partners in Sex Magic yesterday..."

"Yes," Harry answered shortly.

"Yeah, so, how did that go? You know, with Malfoy?"

"As opposed to with someone else, you mean?" Harry asked dryly. "How do you think it went? It was horrible. I had to kiss Malfoy."

"Oh, yeah," Ron nodded enthusiastically, making a face. "Disgusting. Right. But, Harry?"

"Yes, Ron?" Harry asked through gritted teeth, snatching one of the note parchments out his hand and pretending to read it.

"You're not... I mean, the Goblet obviously made a mistake when it teamed you up with Malfoy, right? Because you're not, y'know..."

"Gay?" Harry supplied for him, glaring angrily from over the top of the scroll. "No, I'm not. The Goblet made a mistake."

"You're sure?" Ron asked quietly, crinkling the remaining parchments in his hands worriedly. Something which Hermione would later yell at him for.

Anger bubbling over, Harry threw the scroll back at Ron, feeling a bit of satisfaction when it bounced off of his forehead. Pushing himself out of the chair, he stood before his friend with clenched fists. 

"I am not gay!" he shouted, drawing the attention of the entire common room. "Furthermore, I still haven't completely forgiven you and your brothers for getting me into this mess! So just shut it, will you?"

"Okay. I'm sorry," said Ron, holding up his hands defensively. 

Sighing, Harry ran a hand roughly through his hair, pacing away a few steps before turning back to face his shamed roommate. "I'm sorry, Ron. I didn't mean to... I just need to go for a walk, that's all."

"But it's past hours," Ron said half-heartedly. But Harry was already on his way up the stairs to their room to get his Invisibility Cloak.

***

Neville had endured Lavender's avoidance, her cold shoulder, her silent treatment, and her outright tantrums during their Sex Magic lessons for the past two weeks. To say that he was sick of it would be putting it mildly. To say that he had reached his breaking point would be more accurate.