Chapter 5

"Today marks the beginning of our transition from theory to practice of the material. You've probably noticed that the room is a bit different today..."

Harry had noticed that. Upon first walking into class, the row of small booths with heavy purple curtains along the far wall had caught his eye. He found his gaze drawn back to them and apprehension seized him at the implications of what the more private accomodations could mean.

"We'll be starting slow, so there's no need to worry if you're unexperienced. Today you'll only be kissing your partners."

Through all of his many dreadful classes- Snape's humiliating Potions practicals, Umbridge's godawful DADA lessons, Trelawney's rubbish- Harry had never been more sorely tempted to walk out of a class than he was right then.

"Please move to one of the booths with your assigned partner and begin."

Harry didn't need to see Draco to know that he had remained just as firmly rooted to his spot as himself. He avoided looking directly at Professor Mason, prolonging the moment until she would force him to participate. He groaned when he heard her call their names.

"Mr. Potter? Mr. Malfoy? Could you come to the front, please?" she asked, and smiled at their identical scowls as they made their way to stand before her. "There's no need for those frowns quite yet, boys. I knew you'd refuse to take part in today's lesson, and I've arranged something special for you. Follow me."

Harry and Draco shared a puzzled look before falling into step behind her as she made her way to one of the booths. Once all three of them were inside, she drew the heavy violet drape closed and turned to face them.

The first thing that Harry noticed was that the booth, quite like the Weasleys' tents at the Quidditch World Cup, was much larger inside than it appeared from the outside. It was comfortably furnished with two squashy armchairs and a loveseat. Harry and Draco each took one of the chairs. Mason remained standing.

"One moment," she said, searching through her robes. "Ah, here we are."

Drawing a small vial out of her pocket, she unscrewed the cap and withdrew an eyedropper full of clear liquid. Tilting her head back, she carefully squeezed three drops onto her tongue before replacing the cap.

"Testing. My name is Alb- Rosemary Mason," she said awkwardly. "Well, everything appears to be in order."

"Er, Professor?" Harry spoke up. "Is that Veritaserum?"

"Yes, Harry, it is," she told him, walking toward the two boys seated across one another to set the vial down on a table between them. "I feel that you and Draco aren't comfortable enough with one another yet to take part in normal class lessons. Perhaps a bit of honestly will help to ease the problem."

"Doubtful," muttered Harry.

"Three drops, Mr. Potter. On the tongue," she ordered, arms folded over her chest.

Harry sighed and took the vial, letting the drops splatter onto his tongue. Reaching out, he set it back on the table and at Mason's nod, watched as Malfoy copied him.

"Good," said Mason crisply. "You have the entire period, one hour, to discuss whatever you wish." 

She waited a moment to make sure that they would start on their own, and predictably, they did not. 

Sighing, she pulled the curtain back and snapped, "Mr. Potter, why did you jump away from Mr. Malfoy as though he were diseased last week? Discuss."

Harry gaped at the closed curtain for several moments after she had left until the pull of the Veritaserum began to take effect. Gritting his teeth he glanced up through his bangs to see Malfoy staring at him intently.