𝒿𝒶𝒾𝓁 𝓋𝒾𝓈𝒾𝓉

After the newspaper clipping had been stuck to his locker, Jacob and Y/N walked home in silence. It wasn't until they entered their house that they spoke again. "Jacob, it's not that big of a deal. It was probably just someone messing around, thinking it was funny." 

Jacob sighed and through his bag down against the ground, heading over to the kettle and filling it with water. He'd worked himself into a state over that newspaper clipping. 

Y/N looked around and saw that Andy wasn't there, he'd gone into the office for work. She doubted that he'd be back anytime before five in the afternoon. Y/n sighed softly and walked over to him, taking the kettle from him and filling it up herself. He propped himself up on the counted, hands locked together and his eyes on the ground. Y/N put the kettle on to boil before looking at him again.

"It's not like you actually killed him. You were cleared of all charges." Y/N answered, knowing that it wouldn't actually make a difference to some high school boys looking for something to make fun of him for. He was already an easy target.

"Thanks." Jacob muttered to her, looking back up at her from his raised position on the kitchen counter. "It's just... well, I don't really want another entire school calling me a murderer. Wasn't exactly fun the last time." He answered, gazing at her with his hollow eyes. 

Y/N nodded gently and reached forwards, putting her hand on his. "It won't escalate to that point. I promise. Besides, whoever put that note on your locker clearly cares about you- considering that stuff hasn't been in the headlines for months. They went looking for it."

"Got myself a fan." Jacob beamed momentarily, laughing softly and smiling down at her. She paused for a moment, allowing herself to take the sight of him smiling at her in. As much as she'd hate to admit it, it was one of her favourite sights. 

The kettle finished boiling with the sound of the small lever flicking upwards, she moved away from Jacob and reached to grab some mugs from the side. "Come on, let's make some tea and watch a film."

༄༄༄༄༄

Andy arrived home later on that night, tired from his long day at work so Y/N and Jacob offered to make dinner. Admittedly, Jacob didn't help at all and just stood there watching Y/N boil pasta and make a sauce. Occasionally, he'd offer to help by tasting the sauce. Then, he'd take a big spoonful and eat it straight from the boiling hot saucepan, burning his mouth and spitting it out in the sink.

"Is it bad?" Y/N would ask. To which he'd respond by shaking his head and gargling water to stop his mouth from burning.

Finally, they sat down at the table with Andy and ate the food. Jacob was going over some math problems while eating. More homework from Mr Wallace.

"That teachers been asking you to do a lot for him recently, Jake. Are you even in his class for anything?" Y/N asked him, finally bored of hearing his pen scratch against the paper and his pasta-covered fingers banging against the calculator buttons. Andy looked up from his food, waiting for Jacob's answer. 

"No, I'm not in a class. But he runs the maths club. I'm in the maths club." Jacob argued, looking at the two of them, concerned, before looking back down at his maths problems. 

"Well, good to see you getting your academics pride on." Andy answered, uncertain. He glanced at Y/N who shrugged in response. This maths club was new news to her as well. Andy took her shrug as a hint to change the conversation. Jacob wasn't really into it. "I've actually been meaning to talk to you both."

Jacob looked up at his Dad and raised an eyebrow, "About what?"

Andy sighed and put his fork down at the side of his plate, taking a moment before speaking again. "I'm going to visit your mother this weekend, Jake. You don't have to come but-"

"No chance I'm going." Jacob answered definitely, gripping the sides of his chair with nerves. "Why are you going to see her? I thought we were meant to cut her out!" 

"Jacob-" Andy started.

"No! She tried to kill me! Why would you want to even think about her? Let alone see her!" Jacob told his Dad, his voice raising as he spoke.

"She needs to sign the divorce papers, Jake." Andy finished, not even seeming too stressed out about it. Normally, a divorce would really take a toll on someone. But Andy was clearly done with Laurie and everything about her. Now, she was just a loose asset in a jail cell. 

"Oh." Jacob replied, pausing before clearing his throat. "Sorry."

Andy waved his hand dismissively, "Don't worry about it. I was just wondering if you guys will be okay here by yourself for the day on Saturday. I'll be back on Sunday, don't worry." 

Y/N and Jacob nodded, "Yeah, we'll be fine. Don't worry, Andy." Y/N smiled at him, figuring he didn't need to be stressed about anything extra.

Andy smiled and nodded, seeming to be relieved at her reassurance. "Good. Don't let him have any parties while I'm gone, okay?" He joked, nodding over at Jacob. Y/N laughed softly.

"And what friends would I invite to this party?" Jacob asked, his tone light and playful but Y/N and Andy knew there was an element of truth in there. They ate the rest of the meal in silence.