2- Second Encounter

As expected, I was woken up early by Dad bursting into my room telling me to go pick up the materials for the window repair. I listened carefully as he listed off what he needed, not wanting to mess up and be punished for getting the wrong things. Stupid mistakes like that were punished harshly.

I wandered into town with a light spring in my step. Just the thought of maybe seeing that boy around motivated me. Really, any excuse to get out of the house, I would take. My parents were mean and I loved to explore, even if it was just the crummy town of Ravens.

I wonder if I looked tough to anyone passing by me, the bruises probably made me look rough and tumble. I giggled as I puffed up my cheeks and flexed my tiny biceps, I could probably convince someone I had won a fight!  On second thought, I guess most people around here wouldn't blink an eye at someone with injuries, just another days in Ravens!

At the repair shop, a nice man helped me choose out all the correct materials. I stood up on my tippy toes and put the coins that my dad had provided me with on the counter and crossed my fingers that it would be enough. I did not need him upset that I wasn't able to buy everything.

I looked up at the man anxiously and he just nodded indicating it would cover the costs. I let out the breath I had apparently been holding. 

He put the smaller items in a canvas bag, and I would have to carry the glass all the way back home. It was nearly the size of me, but I would be extra careful, it was only about a twenty minute walk after all. 

I teetered out of the shop carrying the bag and large glass panel, struggling to keep track of other people around me. I couldn't afford to knock into someone and drop it.

Just as I was having that thought, a small body topples into me from behind, I gasp, panicking. I wait for the crash of the impact and sound of glass shattering, but instead I feel something pulling on the collar of my shirt, pulling me back to the standing position. PHEW, that was close. I turn around to see who had bumped into me and then saved my butt. 

My mouth drops when I see the crimson eyes from yesterday. His mouth also drops slightly when he sees me. I looked up at him, being that he was a fair few inches taller than me.

I smile wide looking at him and excitedly introduce myself, "You're the boy from yesterday! I'm so glad you're ok, my name is Julie, and I think we should be friends... Maybe, if you want to be, we don't have to be if you don't want to though..." We migrate out of the middle of the street, up against the side of an abandoned building. I carefully prop the glass against the wall, along with the canvas bag and stick my hand out so we could shake hands. 

I really don't know what came over me, I'm never this outgoing, but I didn't want to miss another opportunity to meet him.

He looked at my hand confusedly, his eyes than wandered to my face and neck.

"You're hurt." He stated. 

I retracted my hand. My smile wavered a bit, I looked at him carefully as well. He didn't look much better than me to be frank! His clothes were tattered, he was dirty, and he had scrapes here and there.

I shrugged. "It was better me get hurt then my dad killing you." I exclaimed matter of factly. He eyed me suspiciously, but nodded. 

We stood there for a few seconds, neither of us knowing what to say. I broke the silence eventually, "soo, what's your name?"

"Ban."

I nodded, "Well, I've got to get these materials to my dad or he'll maybe actually kill me," I giggled, laughing at something that really shouldn't have been a joke. I could tell it made him a little uncomfy as well, he must feel bad that I was hurt trying to protect him.

"Can I help?" He asked me. He seemed to be a boy of very few words, but that's ok, I could talk a lot. I nodded eagerly and picked up the bag again as he delicately picked up the glass. We began walking back to my house and we got a talking to.

"Do you like your parents?" Ban asked me.

I bit my lip, I didn't want to seem ungrateful since they gave me so much, but they were also really mean. Some people didn't even have parents though, I shouldn't complain.

"Umm, they're ok, I guess..." Was my rather lame response. I redirected the question to him, not wanting to further bad talk them. "What about you?"

He scoffed a bit, "They suck." Woah, this kid was out here cursing?! I had only ever heard bad words from adults; my parents, neighbors, shopkeepers. He was so cool!

"You should come with me after we drop this stuff off, we can hang out for a bit," Ban shrugged.

HE wanted to hang out with ME? I felt awfully special that what I was feeling for him wasn't completely one sided. I smiled and nodded wildly. 

We made it back to my house, Ban handed me the glass so I could bring it in alone. I didn't want my parents asking about him, it would be too complicated. I dropped off the materials and promptly snuck back outside to go with Ban wherever he was taking me. 

Maybe it was stupid, but I already trusted him.

I skipped along Ban who walked cooly with his hands tucked in his pockets. I watched in awe as we passed a fruit stand and he skillfully stuck his hand out grabbing a few things while the merchant wasn't looking. We moved into an alley and he held out his prize smiling pridefully, small fangs peeking out of his mouth, he held a couple of oranges and an apple. 

He stole! He was so cool!!! I squealed excitedly and he quickly turned looking behind us and covered my mouth with his hand. "Shh Julie, we don't want them to hear us!" My eyes widened and I nodded fervently.  

I licked his hand when he didn't instantly remove his hand, and he pulled it away rubbing off my spit onto his shirt "EWW! You're so gross," he chuckled giving me a noogie. I giggled along with him, grateful to finally have something to laugh at, it had been a while. I reveled in the slight physical contact.

"Here," Ban placed the apple in my hand as he began to peel one of the oranges. 

"Really?" I asked, surprised he was being so nice to me. 

"Duhh. It's the least I could do for you, remember, you saved me from your crazy old man"

I could tell we were gonna be best friends for a long time, we were both eager to protect one another, and in a town like this, you needed someone on your side.