20- Teams

The giant rose his four hands into the air purposefully, "Two people to a team, right?"

Gloxinia scanned over the crowd tapping his chin, "Hmm, with our last minute contestant it seems we have an odd number." He said referring to Gowther's delayed entrance.

I nearly considered volunteering to sit out of the whole ordeal when Gloxinia came to a quick conclusion. "I could have our substitutes make an appearance, but it seems as if we have a powerful being here, one of all five races."

My mouth went dry. He was talking about me.

"This individual should be capable of holding their own in a team of one." He finished.

I couldn't speak, I was horrified. Ban stared at me in concern, unsure of how to proceed. He stepped closer to me and went to reach for my hand, when suddenly I was propelled into the air on a floating rock platform. I screamed, stumbling forward.

The quick movement sent me to my knees and when I recovered I stood uneasily peaking over the edge of the platform seeing everyone else still rooted to the ground. Every set of eyes was on me. Those who I had become acquainted with looked on with worry and fear. The strangers amongst the crowd looked cocky and confident in their ability to win against me should I be put up against them.

I stood there uneasily, pulling and twisting the hem of my dress nervously. I took a step backwards, only to be faced with the crumbling edge of the platform.

I quickly stepped back onto solid ground. The fall wouldn't kill me, but it would hurt like hell.

Sounds of protest emerged from below me as Ban and my new companions insisted upon teaming with me and questioned the fairness and legitimacy of the competition, of which I knew there was none.

"It's not fair to put her on her own!" King yelled out.

"Let me be on her team." Ban said with a deathly cool tone.

"I'll fight with her!" Howzer volunteered, stepping forward.

Even Meliodas, who I was convinced hated me, spoke up. "I will be the one man team." He had a look in his eyes, one of concern? Was he worried for me or did he just fear the power that the commandment held?

As people spoke over one another I could hear my heartbeat in my ears, and a sinking feeling was present in my chest. Sure I may not be able to die that easily but I sure as hell did not want to be attacked by two strong beings. I didn't want to hurt anymore. I didn't want to be involved in this stupid festival in the first place.

The first Fairy King looked me up and down with mild amusement.

"Hm, perhaps it's not the advantage I had anticipated. Well, nonetheless, it's already been decided," he laughed lightheartedly.

I stood there self conscious and embarrassed. Amongst a bunch of fighters and sins, I was on full display. My weak, pathetic self being stared at by everyone. 

Without hesitation the giant Drole, went back to his original task of dividing the group into teams of two. He clapped his two sets of arms together saying, "Divining Board Spell!"

Soon, I was no longer the only one on the floating platforms. I was surrounded by the others all paired off.

"Those standing on the same floating stone right now are comrades in arm chosen by fate. Entrust each other with your lives and pride, and fight your hearts out." Drole told everyone calmly. 

I glanced around at the teams. There wasn't a single pair I was confident in beating. Surely those who I have met wouldn't fight me right? What was the consequence of not fighting though? I didn't think these two commandments would just allow us to forfeit as we were already in groups prepared to fight. 

Ban was with Meliodas, no surprise there. King was with the other sin Diane who I'd scarcely met. Escanor with the pig, Jericho with Gowther, and Elaine with the princess. Gilthunder, Howzer, and Arthur were with people I did not recognize. Also in the competition were several demon birds? 

Enough of the teams had people I knew, I was only hoping I'd be put up against someone who wouldn't fight me. 

Taizoo began to announce the challenge, "We'll now start the tag match with our 16 teams! You will each arrive at a random arena, and the other pair that arrives there will be your first round opponents!

I glanced over at Ban's platform, him and Meliodas were freaking out over Elaine and Elizabeth being part of the competition. At least they both had a partner I thought to myself bitterly.

I'm glad he had moved on from being concerned about me so quickly. Maybe that just meant he had more confidence in me than her? Surely I was overthinking this and he just didn't care all that much about me. 

I didn't even realize I had been transported to one of the arenas until I looked up hearing Gloxinia's voice.

"All weapons, magical powers, and underhand tactics are permitted. To win, you must either kill or neutralize the other team, or force them out of the arena."

"Elizabeth has nothing to do with this!" I heard Meliodas yell. Actually it sounded much closer than when he was previously calling out for her...

Curiously, I turned around and discovered who my competitors were. Ban and Meliodas.

My mouth still dry, I couldn't even find the courage to speak when Ban joined in Meliodas' screaming match with the Fairy King announcing "You bastards! If you lay a finger on Elaine, I'll make mincemeat of you!"

I opened my mouth to say something, but I didn't even have to, Ban turned around and locked eyes with me, a quick look of regret flashing through his eyes. I distantly heard Gloxinia explaining that once someone entered the maze, they were considered a contestant and how forfeit was not allowed, but I was too upset about the current situation to care.

I wouldn't even be surprised if Ban actually attacked me for the festival, since he had already destroyed my ego and broken my heart countless times.

"I hope Elaine is ok." I mumbled dismissively, still looking at Ban.

Meliodas turned around and saw me as their competitor. If he sensed the tension, he didn't comment on it. He had confirmed with the girls that they would be ok, and he focused in on his own situation.

His goofy smile appeared and he made a suggestion, "Shall we start our training sessions then, Hybrid Girl?"