22- Fighting Festival

After recuperating from being properly in demon form for the first time ever I stepped away from a now shirtless Ban and a seemingly unaffected Meliodas. There was a pulsing in my temples that I knew would leave me with a horrible headache.

I suppose we had bigger problems than that though. All the paired off groups were expected to either win a fighting match or perish. I glanced around at all the platforms at all the people I'd only just recently met. I barely knew any of them, but the thought of any of them dying made my stomach twist. Despite having wished for my own death for so many years I recognized how precious life was. I didn't want any of these people, strangers included, to cut their lives short because they wanted to partake in a festival.

It seemed as if I wasn't the only one unhappy with the situation. Many matches held conflicted fighters who looked hesitant to kill the others. On a nearby platform I saw Escanor shouting down at the demons trying to get out of fighting Jericho and the pink haired man who'd entered late.

The demons provided no help and Escanor shouted out in our direction,"Captain, what am I supposed to do?"

Meliodas stepped away from Ban and joined me at my side looking towards Escanor with a blank and untelling face.

I glanced over as well, it seemed as if the pink haired man, Gowther, would not be taking mercy on them as he began to fight the helpless pig and even Jericho who was his own teammate. He had his eyes on a weak Escanor next.

My head swiveled to Meliodas as I grabbed his arm in desperation, shaking him. "We have to do something, we have to help him!" Escanor was too kind to me for me to sit around and do nothing as he was left defenseless.

Gowther had Escanor trapped in a pink glow, but then the strangest thing happened.

Esanor's clothes began to rip as his body grew to his strong and buff day counterpart. My mouth gaped, how could he transform in the middle of the night without the sun?

His huge muscled body was intimidating and I could feel waves of heat coming off of him even from a decently far distance.

The two started exchanging attacks and a huge ax flew to Escanor, calling forth the sun, at night. The heat was almost unbearable at this point and I could feel sweat drip from my brow.

I was so enthralled with what was happening in front of me I jumped when I felt a lanky arm pull me back slightly. I turned to see Ban looking down at me with concern as he pulled me into his body providing some sort of protection. I didn't pull away, I just stayed wrapped in his arms as I watched the scene continue to unfold in front of us.

"For the great sin of toying with others' hearts, atone with your flesh!"

I gasped and tried to break free from his hold, but Ban pulled me back.

Gowther readied his own attack and then Escanor unleashed the insanely powerful attack. Everyone cowered and protected themselves the best they could.

Rubble flew and smoke covered the arena. I pulled away from Ban coughing. I ran to the edge of the platform kneeling down trying to look over the edge through the smoke, but it was hard to tell what the conclusion was.

Ban and Meliodas joined me at the edge. I squinted and looked around at the damage. I found Escanor was down and Gowther still stood. What was even more surprising, Drole and Gloxinia were both down. I gasped and pointed at the two demons.

"Did Escanor..? H-he attacked them?" I stuttered out.

Ban smirked, "That bastard, he attacked the Ten Commandments!"

"Woah." Was all I could manage.

"Captain what should we-" Ban began to turn towards where Meliodas was. I was taken aback when he was no longer right next to us.

I stood and pointed down at the commandments, "He's down there, what do we do?"

Meliodas immediately began to fight the injured giant as everyone just stared on in shock.

Ban ground his teeth together then faced me placing his hand on my shoulder. "I'm going to help him, you need to get out of here. You need to stay safe." 

"Wait-" I protested.

Before I could even make my point though, I heard the big blue giant shout "Gigant Embrace!"

The platforms all began to close in on one another as two hands clasping. The contestants all went flying into the middle. Screams were heard as bodies were thrown flying through the air.

I felt Ban's hand skim my arm trying to grab hold. I also reached out trying to find some purchase, but I then felt my trajectory change drastically pulling me away from him. I felt like I had whiplash as I was thrown around like a rag doll. Eventually my body found solid ground as I was thrown into a pile of rubble unceremoniously. I grunted in pain as I struggled to sit up and take note of where I ended up.

My eyebrows furrowed as I saw the closing rock hands in front of me be pulled underground.

I scrambled up to my feet and started desperately looking around for the others, but I knew they were all encased in the stone hands. I was meant to be in there too, how had I ended up on the outside of that? My breathing was heavy and my eyes wildly searched the scene trying to figure out what to do. The only ones left in the battlefield were Meliodas, the two commandments, and me. I knew I should try to help Meliodas fight them or try to help everyone who was pulled underground by the giant, but I listened to Ban's final words to me. "You need to stay safe."

With tears brimming my eyes I ran. I didn't know where to go, where I'd be safe, but I knew it wasn't here.

Before I could get far Gloxinia floated down in front of me and laughed.

"Drole didn't pull you out of his Gigant Embrace for you to go running, Hybrid Girl."

A low growl escaped my throat, I was so sick and tired of that nickname.

Meliodas who was fighting Drole took notice of me and shouted my name. He attempted to run up to me, but the giant who had seemed to just be on his deathbed was making an impossible comeback.

"JULIE GET OUT OF HERE!" I heard Meliodas shout from his fight with the giant.

"Don't you think I've tried that you stupid midget." I mumbled to myself, still stood in front of the extremely powerful demon fairy, my defenses on high.

Gloxinia snickered, "I think you'll make a good addition to our ranks once you've been trained properly, hybrid girl."

I shot daggers at the fairy, "I won't join you," I hissed, ready to make a run for it again, but with my nonexistent stamina I knew I wouldn't make it far.

"Without Galand, we're down a commandment, and you have potential. Wouldn't you rather be on the winning side?"

I shook my head, my emotions running on high. I didn't spend ten years as a captive to become some demon's muse. I wanted to make my own choices and decisions. Maybe I wouldn't end up with Ban as I'd always dreamed, and sure the good guys weren't in a great place right now, but I sure as hell wouldn't be willingly joining a race of demons trying to take over the world.

"No. I won't do it." I stayed firm, ready to use the attacks I'd just recently learned. I just prayed that it would actually work this time.

"Well," Gloxinia shrugged, "I'm sure you'll be much more cooperative when we have your demon controlled."

I stumbled back a few steps glancing towards Meliodas who was still enthralled in battle. I secretly hoped he'd take notice of me and help, but I couldn't distract him.

"Shielding cyclone." I spoke with false confidence. A small gust of wind flew by. How embarrassing. 

Gloxinia smiled "Demon Discipline."