Chapter 19

"Runnin' Home to You" - Grant Gustin

Bucky and I are hiding behind a row of bushes, waiting for a clear moment to run. Looking around I haven't seen anyone come through for a while, meaning that maybe our coast is clear. Bucky turns to look at me and gives me a quick nod before regaining his focus.

"Ready?" he asks as he brings his gun up to his chest.

I nod as I bring myself up to my feet. We have one goal right now. Get to our quintet and get the fuck out of here without any problems. I don't expect it to be that easy but I trust Bucky and his skills to get us through this. We know there's soldiers all around us so we have to be careful. But we also have to be quick, because if we are spotted we need to get clear fast enough that we aren't ambushed.

Bucky starts moving forward and I'm right beside him as we sprint in the direction of the quinjet, making sure we're keeping our eyes out for any interventions.

I catch them before Bucky does and I put up a strong forcefield just as the gunshots reach us. Once Bucky sees them he aims his gun in that direction and waits for an opportunity.

"Drop!" he yells out and I already know exactly what he means. I let go of my force field, allowing him to get a good shot at the guy, then he immediately fires at the one coming through the trees. While he's busy with the ones coming from the right, I see another group coming from the left side. I throw balls of my forcefield at them, sending each one that hits flying back on impact. I turn to find Bucky and note that within the fighting he's being pushed farther and farther away from me. Even as more of them come towards me they're lining up in between us, separating us as much as they can.

"Bucky!" I yell out as I put up a force field to protect myself from incoming shots.

"Mia what's going on?" Tony asks, through the com, still close enough to be able to hear us.

"Just a little interruption." I say trying to seem calm. "We've got this."

One of the gunmen gets close enough to me that I'm able to grab onto his gun with one hand and keep a small forcefield with the other. While blocking incoming fire I turn so I'm standing with my back to the gunman and I can elbow him in the face, pulling his gun from his hand. I turn and shoot him in the chest, then fire at the three that are still shooting at me.

Once they're down I start running, having lost sight of Bucky as his fight took him into the trees.

"Bucky are you okay?" I ask, wishing I could see him.

"So far so good." he replies, and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Meet me at the quinjet, I'm going to get it started so we can–"

I don't even register what happens, when I'm thrown into an air by a blast that knocks the wind out of me, as I'm tossed to the side, hitting a tree before landing on the ground.

...

"Mia!"
"Kid are you okay?!"
"Mia!"
"Something's wrong."
"Bucky what happened?! Do you have eyes on Mia?!"
"There was an explosion but I'm too far away, I can't see her!"
"We have to go back!"
"Steve we can't go back. They'll shoot us out of the air!"
"Just open the door I'll go find her!"
"Tony you can't!"
"I'm not leaving her alone!"
"Mia are you there?!"
"Just open the door!"
"Tony–"
"Open the damn door!"
"Tony stop!"
"Get out of my way Maximoff."
"Mia please! I can't..."
"Steve you need to calm down, just breath."
"Nat I can't..."

"Steve..." I whisper, trying to regain the strength to open my eyes.

"Mia are you there?" I hear Clint's voice say.