Chapter 11

"Heather" - Conan Gray

2 Months Later...

I'm standing in a defense ready stance, eyes on my opponent, or more importantly, my opponents hands, waiting for her next move. I look up and I see a flicker of red invade her green eyes and I know that's her signal that she's about to attack. Suddenly her hands come up and she sends a string of energy projection towards me. I put up a shield to block it, but her power is so strong that I slide back once it hits.

I started training with Wanda Maximoff shortly after she returned from her mission and she has quickly become one of my favorite people to fight against. Her powers work in a similar format as mine; projected through the hands, requiring focus and concentration, and can be adjusted to fit whatever kind of situation you find yourself in. Plus, not that training with Nat isn't hard work, but with Wanda she doesn't need to be close to get a good shot at me, making it more of a challenge.

Before I even fully recover from her first hit, Wanda immediately throws a second one, and a third right after. I have to change my blocking to small quick projections so that I can keep up. She throws another one and this time I duck and send a force field towards her. It hits her and sends her stumbling back.

She gives me a challenging smirk as she shakes off the hit and straightens herself out. But I don't give her a chance to make a move when I start running towards her. She immediately starts running too as she throws more energy blasts my way. I manage to block them all, but then she throws one that I plan to duck, until I realize it's so low that I end up having to slide on the floor to avoid it. I try to hit her with another force field but this time she's prepared for that. She uses her powers to launch herself into the air and move over me. I quickly project a barrier in her line of passage and she runs into it and tumbles down, catching herself before she hits the floor.

She looks over at me and then launches a very powerful blast in my direction. I decide it's as best time as any to test something I've been practicing on my own. So I form a force field and the second her blasts hits, I encase it in a ball, keepin the energy still activated, then launch it back towards her so that she gets hit with her own blast, and then immediately followed by mine. It knocks the wind out of her and she drops to the ground, and I can tell that she's done, meaning I finally win against her.

I hear muffled commotion coming from the observation room above us. I look up and see Tony and Bruce looking both excited and confused. Probably because I never told them I could do something like that, let alone be practicing it.

I run over to where Wanda is still on the ground, trying to catch her breath.

"Are you alright?" I say reaching my hand out to her. She takes it and I slowly help her get up.

"I didn't know you could do that." She says through labored breaths, her accent getting a little lost.

"Honestly, I didn't fully know if I could either." I reply. That was the first time I managed to do that with something that isn't fully tangible.

"That was...impressive." she says.

I don't get a chance to thank her when Tony comes bursting through the door that leads to the lab.

"Kid, that was amazing! When did you learn to do that?" he says as he comes towards us.

I shrug like it's no big deal. "It's just pressurizing my powers like I've been practicing, except that I catch something inside."

He blinks a couple of times as if what I just said completely staggered him. "I'm...so proud of you kid. You know what, go to the training room and just finish off your regular workout."