Chapter 12

"Rumor Has It" - Adele

Back in my room I try to give myself some time to relax and calm down from everything that has happened. It's not that easy considering I can't get the image of Steve and Sharon out of my head. I imagine every scenario of what could possibly happen at that date, including the haunting idea of seeing Sharon walk out of Steve's room after they...

Nope. I couldn't let my mind go there or it was going to drive me crazy. So instead I try to do some meditation, and take some time to clear my mind before I have to hop in the shower to get ready for tonight. Unfortunately, right as I finish stripping down and start heading into the bathroom, my phone pings with a text. I look over and see it's from Tony.

My office NOW!

Shit. This sounds serious.

I quickly change into some regular clothes and head over to his office.

Once I get there I see him leaning against one of his computers, intently watching the screen.

"What's going on Tony?" I say as I walk around all his equipment to get to him.

He turns towards me and now that I can see his screen more clearly, I have a hunch as to what he might want to talk about, and it makes my heart stop. The screen has what is clearly surveillance footage of the gym where I was just at. And while the screen is currently paused and has no one on it, this means that Tony has probably gone through today's footage and has seen everything.

I try to stay calm and realize I need to figure out what connections Tony has made before I start freaking out. Steve and I didn't do anything out of the ordinary but maybe he saw my reaction to him and Sharon leaving, or my outburst afterwards. He may not have everything figured out, but there's obviously a good chance he knows that something is up. And while technically, having feelings for someone isn't against his rules, I don't think he'll like it very much.

Tony gives me a very disapproving look. "Care to explain?" he says before turning around and pressing a button on his keyboard. Suddenly the screen changes and I see the footage shift to Bucky pulling me towards him and wrapping his arms around me.

Wait....what?

"Well..." Tony says when I don't answer him.

"It's Bucky and me hugging." I say, a little confused. I know what Tony could possibly be implying, but I refuse to believe he actually jumped to that conclusion based on what he saw on the tape.

"Mia.." he prompts, clearly annoyed that I won't give him the answer he already thinks is correct.

"Tony..." I reply in the same tone, needing him to ask exactly what he wants to know.

He sighs, getting a little frustrated. "Is there something going on between you and Barnes?"

Even hearing him say it, I cannot believe his mind went there.

"Of course not Tony. How are you going to make that assumption over a hug?"

He straightens up off his desk as he comes towards me. "No, it's not just that. I had a feeling something was up ever since that night when you and Rogers came back from D.C. and Bucky was all over you. Now be honest with me Connors."

What? He's been having this idea in his head for two months?! As surprised as I am, I'm kind of glad he suspected Bucky and not Steve, otherwise he probably would have noticed something about the relationship between Steve and I.

"I am being honest with you Tony. Trust me, there is nothing going on between Bucky and I, except a good friendship." I say, trying not to laugh at the small implication I'm making with that statement.