Chapter 29

"A thousand Years" - Christina Perri

Well...this is definitely not how I thought this night was going to go.

I'm standing at the head of the conference table, with all of the Avengers, including the others we woke up, sitting around, waiting for me to speak.

I remember it. All of it. And it's worse than I could have ever imagined. Not worse as in it was bad, just...

Fuck. How am I going to explain this?

"I don't even know where to start." I admit to everyone.

"Maybe with the part about you not being from earth." Sam says so matter of factly

Nat brings her hand up and smacks his chest. "Don't rush her." she says, defending me. She turns to look at me and gives me a reassuring smile. "Take your time love."

I take a deep breath, but still don't really know where to start. "Maybe it would be easier if I just answered your guys' questions." I say, thinking they probably have a lot.

"Yeah, I got one." Sam says, holding his hand up. "What the hell do you mean you're not from earth?" he asks.

This time both Bucky and Nat smack him in the chest.

"Ow! What, we're all thinking it." Sam says, defending himself.

I'm actually grateful that in a moment of such odd tension, he manages to make me laugh. But he has a point. I guess the best way to do this is to essentially reintroduce myself.

"I'm from a world called Revenia. My official name being Mia of Revenia." I say, feeling so strange even saying it now.

"So...not Connors." Sam asks, and I can see he feels as weird about it as I do.

"No. Connors is the last name S.H.I.E.L.D. assigned me to give me an identity." I say, knowing that is a whole other mess I still need answers for. "But you guys can keep calling me Mia Connors. I'm pretty used to it by now. It'd be kind of weird if you stopped."

"Okay, Mia of Revenia." Clint says, and it causes me to roll my eyes. "Is your world like Asgard? Because Thor didn't recognize you at all."

Nat turns to give him a confused look. "You do realize Thor doesn't know every single person that comes from space right?"

"I'm sorry Romanoff, I'm not exactly up to speed on the social circles of the space worlds." Clint says. "Besides, Thor is always talking about the nine realms and all that. I thought maybe Mia's home world was one of them."

I put my hands up to try and stop the conversation before it escalates. "It's fine." I chuckle. "If it helps you understand it better Clint, yes Revenia is like Asgard, but it's not part of the nine realms under its ruling." I say, knowing only a little bit of the nine realm kingdom. "Actually my people don't have the best relationship with the Asgardians. We always found them to be kind of vain and completely obsessed with war and glory and..." I stop remembering that we all have an Asgardian friend who probably won't appreciate me bad mouthing his people. "Not the point."

"Okay." Wanda says, still trying to take everything in. "If you're from a far off world, how did you end up here?"

I immediately feel a pain in my chest, the memory still feeling recent despite the fact that it's been a few years. "That..." I say once again not knowing where to start. "Is a bit complicated to explain."

I look up and see the curious eyes of all my friends, waiting for my explanation. I don't blame them. It's a massive thing to lay on them, and it's hard to explain when they know literally nothing about my home world.