Chapter 18

"Ok, so let me get this straight..."

"It's not rocket science, Tsukki."

"Humor me"

"Fine, whatever."

Tsukki pressed his glasses further up his nose, and continued to analyze the slightly disgruntled girl next to him. "You're going on a date—with Sugawara-San."

"Yes." Machi sighed. She could feel both Tsukki and Tadashi's eyes on her now. This was the first morning in at least a week they had all been able to walk to school together, and as much as she would have preferred the more casual conversation they were used to, Machi knew she'd had to bite the bullet and tell them before they found out some other way. It was Tuesday after all, she was meeting up with Suga after practice.

"But you're not allowed to date."

Machi ran a hand over her face in exasperation, "Yes, I know Tsukki."

"So then how—"

"I'm not telling him!" Machi's hands tightened around the straps on her bag. Her dad would clearly not approve, and so he didn't need to know in the first place. Before leaving this morning, Machi had made the entirely plausible excuse that she was staying after club to work on jump kicks with Kaido and Nakagawa. Her father had only grunted something about making sure not to forget spin kicks too,and didn't question her further. It gave her just a small glimmer of hope that if she could keep the truth hidden well enough, she'd never have to know how he'd react at all. "So can we not make a big deal about it, or talk about it at all. Please."

They walked along another block and a half in unsteady silence, Tadashi and Tsukki passing each other confused looks over Machi's head, both trying to communicate without words. Finally when they were approaching the front entrance to Karasuno, it was Tadashi who broke the quiet this time.

"But why didn't you say anything? We didn't even know you and Suga were close." He tried to think back on all those times they had spent with the third years, but nothing out of the ordinary seemed to jump to mind. All three of their upperclassman had been friendly, but never more than that, at least not that he had noticed. Sure, it had seemed like Machi was a little more welcoming of their friendships than she normally was around new people, but Tadashi had just passed it off as her finally making new friends. Had he really not seen the signs this whole time? A nasty thought materialized in his mind, and he paled. What if Machi was just trying to keep it from him? "Do you...not trust us enough?" The dejected way Tadashi spoke while keeping his eyes focused on untying his shoelaces made Machi almost want to cry. He was doubting himself because of her choice to keep this from him.

"Of course I trust you, you goofball." But her friendly pat on his head only made his frown deepen, so she tried again, "You've been so busy practicing your float serves, and Tsukki has the emotional understanding of a tapeworm, you both haven't really been available to talk. I wouldn't hide anything from you, honest. And besides," she batted away Tsukki's attempted swat at her face, "it just kind of happened."

"And, you're ok with it?" Machi smiled warmly now; big brother Tadashi was back and trying so hard to be supportive yet protective. It was sweet.

Shoving her locker closed, Machi gave her cousin's shoulder a gentle pat in thanks. "Yeah. It's fine. You don't have to worry Tadashi." The way Machi's eyes silently sparkled told him and Tsukki everything they needed to know; not only was she going on a date with their vice-captain, but she was looking forward to it.

"G-good! Because I'd have to say something if he pressured you into saying yes." Tadashi's voice cracked a bit as he tried to sound tougher than he felt, "I mean—uh, he shouldn't—he can't make you—"