Chapter 30-Epilogue

"Oh, come on ref that was clearly on the line!"

Outraged, Machi nearly dumped the entire popcorn over as she threw her hands in the air. Ignoring her and several other fans in the crowd that now booed, the line judge called the point for Argentina and Machi inconspicuously flipped him off.

"We're still ahead Machi, we can afford to lose one point."

Machi only shoved a large amount of popcorn in her mouth and chewed angrily, "But it's the principle of the matter, Suga! Hinata deserved that point."

Knowing better than to argue with her when so invested in a game, Suga simply smiled and held the popcorn for her while she raged at the court for another five minutes. Only when Japan had won back the lead with a quick attack from Hinata and Kageyama did Machi calm back down enough to take her seat again. As soon as she did, Suga's hand had snaked it's way onto her lap, tracing a finger along her palm.

"Feeling better?"

"I'll feel better when we win." But she tightened her hand around his and leaned into him nonetheless.

It was surreal, to be sitting here, watching his old teammates compete in the Olympics. It was even stranger to see his girlfriend so invested in it. When they had received the tickets in the mail, he thought for sure she'd want to pass on attending, especially after her most recent loss in the ring. But, as always, Machi surprised him. She leaped at the chance wholeheartedly, even going so far as to design matching jerseys for them. Daichi had teased him for it, but Suga wore it anyway. Anything to make her happy.

"Look, Suga, they see us!" Machi leaned over the balcony railing, waving enthusiastically at Hinata as he huddled around the rest of the Japanese team during a timeout. Just as energetic, Hinata bounced happily next to Kageyama, pointing and waving to his friends while Kageyama only grimaced and tried to get away from the orange haired freak. "Aw," Machi grinned, "they're still besties, how sweet."

A whistle blasted and the match began again. Machi happily settling back next to Suga, taking the seat just in front of him so she could comfortably lean against him. Naturally, Suga pulled her closer, resting his chin on her head and wrapping her in an embrace that now felt familiar to both.

The last few years hadn't been a walk in the park; life didn't work that way. But it had been infinitely better walking it together. Machi finished out her second year of high school on crutches, the healing process slow and painful in more ways than one. Technically, even injured she was still vice-captain of the martial arts club, which came with certain responsibilities. But half the time she didn't even have the energy to attend practices let alone the motivation to lead the others through drills. It was on those bad days that Suga waited for her outside of class, sometimes holding a box of mochi, other times just offering a calm presence, as if he knew it was needed more than normal. They'd sit together in the quiet, until eventually he'd take her by the hand, help her to her feet, and walk her home. The rest of the club never seemed to mind when she'd miss these practices, going so far as to even offer her the rest of the school year free from duties, which she gladly took. Her heart just wasn't in it anymore. And wouldn't be for some time, not until she finally left high school and started at a new dojo in Sendai.

Along with the other third years, Suga had graduated and entered university, absolutely refusing to admit he'd chosen a local school to stay close to Machi, despite the heckling from Daichi. It was convenient though, to be close by, and visit on weekends or the occasional extra evening. And, having officially moved in to her uncle's house, Machi hadn't even needed to sneak around to find a way to see her boyfriend. In fact, Suga got along so well with her aunt and uncle they nearly adopted him too.