Chapter 22

Surprisingly, the sneaking out part of the evening didn't end up being that difficult. The hallway leading from the rooms back towards the entrance was empty, the team's faculty advisor having gone to bed hours ago. Turned out the hardest part was standing outside in the chilly night air with only a thin running jacket for warmth. In her haste, Machi had only snagged the jacket at the last minute and hadn't thought to turn around and look for something warmer. She did think of it now though, as she stood on the small hill overlooking the gymnasium waiting for Suga, rubbing her arms and stamping her feet against the ground to try and stay warm. The afternoon had been so hot under the blazing sun, it hadn't even crossed her mind how cold it might be now that the sun had set and was replaced by a cloudless velvety sky.

Thankfully, Machi didn't have to wait too long before seeing a familiar figure approaching, carrying what looked like several backpacks. "There's my fellow delinquent, out after hours and already a popsicle." Suga dropped one of the bags he was carrying at her shivering feet, which Machi could now see was indeed a large green backpack, and immediately began fishing through the other. "I thought that would be the case, so I brought this for you." He threw a large fuzzy sweater at Machi's face, which she wasted no time in tossing over her head and burying her face in his warmth.

With the feeling finally starting to return to her hands, Machi could now focus on Suga, who was still rummaging through the bag, muttering to himself as he made sure he hadn't forgotten anything. "So are you gonna tell me why you look like a pack mule?" She asked sarcastically, gently tapping her foot against the green backpack, "What's with the two bags?"

But Suga only slung the bag he was holding back over his shoulder, followed quickly by the second. "That would ruin the surprise, so no." With his free arm he reached for her hand and pulled her along to walk beside him, "Now come on, or we're gonna miss the show."

Completely mystified, Machi stumbled along for a few strides before falling in step with Suga as he lead them both away from the grassy hillside. They walked at a brisk pace, almost jogging at some points, Suga never once letting on as to where they were going. Occasionally he'd glance down at Machi to make sure she was still doing alright, and every time she'd catch the strange exhilaration that twinkled in his eyes. It wasn't until they were a maybe a mile or two away from the school campus and entering a large grove of dark trees that Machi began to feel something besides excitement. "You're not about to lead us into a dark secluded spot away from the city so no one will hear my screams as your brutally murder me...are you?" It was meant to be a joke of course, but her steps faltered just a bit. They were still in Tokyo, but this was definitely not the bustling city; it felt calmer, more country like with only the sounds of chirping crickets to break through the dark evening air. Sure she could still see some lights off in the distance, but they felt light years away from the secluded spot they now stood.

Chuckling quietly, but giving her hand a reassuring squeeze, Suga used his other hand to brush away a firefly that decided to land in her hair, "If anyone should be worried about that it probably would be me. You could most definitely kill me and make it look like an accident." The firefly gave a quick pulse of light as if to complain for being brushed away, and flew off into the dark shadows of the trees for Suga and Machi to follow, "I know it seems a bit sketchy, but it'll make sense in a few moments, I promise." His bright smile showed even in the increasing darkness of the night and Machi found herself drawn to it more so than usual.

Completely trusting in the boy now as he lead them down a narrow path through the copse of trees, it was becoming increasingly clear just how far Suga had worked his way past all her defenses and into her heart. Only a few months ago, Machi would have balked at the idea of trusting someone so implicitly as to follow them without knowing the final destination. Hell, even the idea of having a friend outside of Tadashi was a laughing matter. Yet somehow, Suga had done both. With that warm smile and gentle patience, he had broken through all of her barriers as if they were made of the thinnest paper. That hardened exterior she had worked so hard to keep in place had melted away so fully it was like it had never been there at all. When she was with him, it didn't matter anymore. Nothing else really mattered, except the way he made her feel; cherished for the first time in her life for absolutely nothing to do with taekwondo. With Suga, she was just Machi, and it was perfect.