Chapter 28

Patience was never Machi's strong suit. She knew this of course, but the knowledge of it never seemed to help when she needed it most. And to say the first week home post surgery tested her patience was quite an understatement. Bed-ridden like the invalid she felt she'd become, Machi was under strict orders to relax. No unnecessary movement, no weight on her right leg at all, and absolutely no sport. She was bored out of her mind by the second day. It didn't help that she had been given permission to take the full week off of school as well, the hours normally spent with classmates and friends replaced with counting the ceiling tiles (again).

Propped up on pillows and wrapped in a nest of blankets, Machi really did try her best to relax. She'd nap during the day when the boredom felt endless, and read or watch television to pass the remaining time. Yet try as she might, even the complete collection of Jane Austen couldn't keep her focus anymore. There were an increasing number of times now that Machi would catch herself opening her book and starting a few paragraphs, only to find her mind had wandered off the page and left on an entirely different path. Eventually she gave up the pretense and just sat in bed, staring unseeing up at the ceiling or out the window, lost in thought.

The truth was, she didn't know what she felt, about everything that had happened. Most of it was a bit of a blur now anyway, though she gathered some of the important stuff from Suga and Tadashi and did her best to process it during the long expanses of time she now had free. It didn't help though, that no one from the martial arts club had been in contact since the tournament, even if she suspected that it wasn't from their lack of trying. Nevertheless, it meant she had no idea the status of the rankings. Had they honored Machi's win and given her the spot on the Olympic team? Or, had they simply cast her name aside with the excuse of her injury to keep her from claiming the top spot? Normally, a situation like this would have infuriated Machi, especially one that put her dream in jeopardy. Now, lying in bed, staring at the uncomfortable and stiff brace that kept her from bending her knee even a smidgeon, Machi found herself unconcerned with the answer to those questions. In fact, the more time that passed, the more she found herself contemplating why she felt so...disinterested.

For years, Taekwondo had been the very center Machi's life revolved around. Ever since she could remember, it was all that was talked about, all that was practiced. Her life had been such a steady rhythm of school, work, and taekwondo. Now that she was faced with the possibility one of those being taken away, she had assumed things would feel off; out of balance. So why didn't she feel more upset?

"Hey, you awake? I brought some more of my mom's miso soup since you liked it so much yesterday. And I found Oliver and Company, as promised."

Machi tore her dazed eyes from the windowsill where they had been absentmindedly watching a bird build a nest, and smiled at Suga as he shyly knocked on her bedroom door. Without even realizing it, time had flown by until it was finally her favorite part of the day, when Suga would stop by after school, a new present or hot meal in hand. Unable to run and greet him as she'd like, Machi would wiggle impatiently in place, arms out wide, waiting for him to cross the room and return her embrace. Today was no exception. Suga quickly placed the shopping bag on the floor next to her bed before greeting her gently, equally as happy as her to finally be together, but still overly cautious of causing any more pain. "How was your day, my sunshine? Finish Sense and Sensibility yet? Or did you take another nap?"

Grumbling at the single peck to her forehead, Machi replied dryly, "Yes, I had such a busy and interesting day. I sat here for a few hours, and then, just to mix things up, I decided to lay down."

Already prepping the dvd player and dishing out a bowl of warm soup for Machi, Suga smirked and played along. "Well it is good to mix it up a little every now and again. Maybe tomorrow try something really daring and recline while you take a nap. Could be a game changer." Stealing a few more pillows from the closet, Suga made himself a comfortable backrest next to Machi, wrapping one arm around her shoulders so she could more easily rest against him.