Chapter 29

"Absolutely not."

"Oh come on, it's not that bad."

"I refuse, it's ridiculous."

"It's a wheelchair, Machi, not an electric chair."

"I still don't see the point."

"Riiiight," Suga drew out his response, sarcasm lacing every syllable, "because you've not had any trouble getting around lately."

"....shut up." Machi huffed, refusing to acknowledge Suga's smug expression as she gave up and took a seat in the wheelchair. Suga indeed looked infinitely pleased to help adjust the seat and wheel it away.

The first check up post surgery had left Machi in a foul mood, mostly because it was recommended she switch from crutches to a wheelchair for the foreseeable future. And it pissed her off. After that endless week where all she could do was lie around had finally ended, Machi had been looking forward to walking again, even if it was on crutches. It would have at least been better than nothing. Her physical therapist thought otherwise however, when she took notice of the discomfort the crutches seemed to cause. Now forced to remain immobile again, Machi let out a frustrated sigh, "I hate this, it feels so unnecessary."

"You may think so," Suga hummed, slowing their pace now that they were near the hospital entrance, "But I think it'll help. And I'm proud of you for only refusing once this time."

Machi let out a heavy breath and crossed her arms, "Yeah well, it's not like you gave me much of a choice anyway." Suga had sided with the physical therapist, effectively cutting off any arguments she might try. And after she capitulated, he wouldn't even let her wheel herself out of the office, claiming he didn't want her running off.

"Nope!" He smiled cheekily, parking Machi in a shaded patch of sidewalk while he sent a quick text to her uncle to pick them up. "But think of it this way, if you use the wheelchair, you'll get to actually go places again. Maybe even to a certain volleyball game?" He raised an eyebrow expectantly.

"Really?" Machi instantly brightened, turning halfway in the chair. The look in her eyes told Suga she was already planning how to decorate it in black and orange, "If you're joking I swear I'll be pissed."

"Well good thing I'm not joking." He hummed brightly, leaning against the arm of her wheelchair, "To be honest, some of the team has missed your ah, unique, style of cheerleading. So they'll be happy to see you again." Suga intentionally left out how he too had been missing her presence at the games. During the match against Johzenji, he had been too preoccupied imagining her in the crowd that he forgot to focus on the game. Until Ennoshita pointed it out and he guiltily turned his attention back to the court.

"Awww," Machi cooed, knowing exactly who Suga had meant, "You missed me, didn't you?" When Suga's face flushed a deep red and he didn't deny it, Machi prodded him, "I mean, I knew you were a big softie all along, but it's still cute."

"Oh, I'm the soft one, hmm?" His voice was an octave higher, but still sweet, "I clearly remember a very angry second year scaring the living daylights out of my volleyball team not too long ago. What happened to her?" It really did feel just like yesterday; spiking that volleyball at her face, her terrifying retaliation, the fear she seemed to strike in the hearts of each of his teammates. Now Suga couldn't go a day without one of them asking how she was and when she was returning to school. And he knew she missed them too. Machi's secret soft heart wasn't so secret anymore.

Machi didn't respond; she couldn't, because he was right. She wasn't the same sullen, closed off person she'd been just a little while ago. Whereas before only Tadashi could have coaxed the friendliness out of her, with Suga's soft presence it never seemed to fade at all. Neither did she really want it to, if it meant going back to the loneliness that came from it. But it still made her feel a bit sad; that the strong person she thought she'd been had so easily crumbled away after the smallest bit of attention from one person.