Chapter 24

***I am starting this chapter off with an advisory. The events that take place are not pretty and may be triggering for some. If you are sensitive to any kind of physical abuse please be aware before continuing.***

"Machi, wait—"

Suga tried to call her back, but the door had already slammed shut. When he then moved to follow and hopefully catch up to them, to explain or at least be there with her, a rough hand stopped him.

"Where do you think you're going?" Machi had always spoken so well of her team captain, even after their unfortunate misunderstanding, but that kind friend she described was nowhere in sight. Fury mixed with an explosive amount of jealousy ignited behind his eyes as he moved to stand crossed armed in front of the door.

Suga narrowed his eyes, not liking the clearly combative way Nakagawa faced him. "I'm going after Machi, I'm worried about the way her dad was talking to her." Guilt ate at his heart right alongside the fear. The moment both of them had been afraid of finally happened and he was helpless the entire time. Reo's anger was fierce, enough so to make Suga waiver in his resolve. But Machi had stepped in without hesitation, taking the full brunt of his anger without flinching. And now she was on her own.

Shoving rather forcibly past him, Suga nearly ran down the stairs in haste to reach the gym. Not that he knew what he'd do once he arrived, there was no way around the situation really. He was halfway down the first set of stairs and trying to think fast what he'd say to Reo, when Nakagawa's resentful voice echoed around the empty stairwell and made him stop.

"You've got some nerve, you know that." Obviously not ready to let it go, or just looking for a reason to fight, Nakagawa had quickly followed after Suga, jumping over the last half of the staircase to land in front of him. He was slightly taller than the volleyball player, which made him smirk darkly. The final chord of his heart had snapped the moment he'd seen them, perfectly fitted together and oblivious to the outside world. It had felt like he'd been hit by a freight train to see how happily she'd kissed him, and how tenderly he held her in return. "What gives you the right to chase after her like some lovestruck puppy, when if anything it's your fault she'll be chewed out in the first place." He sneered, almost spitting the words with hatred.

How easy it would have been to play into Nakagawa's goading; it didn't take a rocket scientist to see that's exactly what he wanted. But Suga's concern was only for Machi. Not at all intimidated by his taller stature, Suga moved to go around him again, "Nakagawa-San I know you're mad, but—"

"You're damn right I'm mad!" He shouted, blocking off Suga's chance to escape by taking another step forward until they were so close he had to strain his neck to glare down at Suga. "The girl I love kissing another guy, I have every right to want to deck you in the face right now." Oh he wanted to alright. His hands even unconsciously balled themselves into fists as if waiting for the moment to strike. Yet Suga remained annoyingly calm and kept trying to side step around him.

"I get that, I do, but Machi needs me—"

"Why exactly?" He cut Suga off again, redirecting back to the question he really wanted to have answered, "You never responded to my question, Sugawara-San. What gives you the right to chase after her like you are?" He could feel his heart pounding painfully fast against his chest, echoing in his ears; knowing what was coming but still hoping it wouldn't.

There was an almost imperceptible ache attached to his question, but Suga didn't care anymore. Nakagawa was getting in the way, and he could swear he could hear Reo shouting from somewhere in the gym now. If admitting to what they both already knew would finally get the guy to move so he could race to check on Machi, then so be it. Squaring his shoulders, Suga stared back at Nakagawa with unhidden pride, "Because she's my girlfriend Nakagawa-San, and I care about her more than myself."