Part 1

Just FYI, none of these characters are mine. They belong to their respective companies. None of the art is mine either. I will claim credit for it if it is mine. Now, without further a due, on to the story!

Soul mates were rare. Only 1 in 5 had one and even then it wasn't guaranteed that they would meet. The sign appeared on a person's 16th birthday, if they received one. The connection could be anything from receiving a soul-mark to feeling your soul mate's pain.

Marinette didn't expect to have a soul mate so when she started hearing a voice in her head a week after her 16th, she thought she was simply going crazy. "I need to go get ready for patrol. I'll do my homework when I get back." That was the first time she heard the voice and she realized that it wasn't her thoughts because she was sitting in Mademoiselle Mendeleev's class.

Hearing the voice became more frequent once Lila came back and started her smear campaign against the bluenette. "Hey, focus. Remember, revenge is a dish best served cold." The voice told her one time when she was about to blow up at the annoying girl. Marinette occasionally gave him advice in return. They'd quickly figured out that they were soul mates, but when they tried to tell the other their name or where they lived, the connection would cut off.

By the time Marinette was a senior in high school, the girl was surprisingly good friends with the voice in her head. She'd never told anyone because word would get back to Lila who would tell her adoring sheep that it was just a stunt for publicity.

"How's the paper for the essay contest going?" Marinette jumped slightly at the sudden appearance of the voice.

Don't startle me like that, Demon! She thought, going into a meditative state. I finished it and turned it in, but shouldn't you already know that seeing as how you're the voice in my head?

"And here I was thinking you were the voice in my head," the voice replied. "Do you think you're going to win?"

The girl sighed. No, but I figured I would try anyway. You already knew that though.

"Angel, you'll win. I'm sure of it. From what you've told me about it, you managed to find something good to say about everyone, even Liar-la."

Yeah, but... She trailed off.

"No buts, Angel. I'm sure you did great."

If you say so, Marinette thought back doubtfully. I'll talk to you later.

"Ok. Talk to you later, Angel." Marinette climbed into bed and swiftly fell asleep, knowing that at least one person believed in her.