Chapter 30 - Wren (Part 1)

Fresh air was nice, and Wren was relieved to find out the place Tala'd been changed with his mother was forested

Fresh air was nice, and Wren was relieved to find out the place Tala'd been changed with his mother was forested. It was on the furthest reaches of the Sol territory, near the old borders of the Zehir territory, so it was safe here. Having a ceremony out in the desert heat would have been excruciating for the guests, so the cool breeze of the morning relaxed and also filled him with excitement. By laws, he was already Talamayas' soul bound, but this ceremony meant something to him.

There would less often be things behind closed doors that others didn't understand about him and Tala, and there was nothing unclear about what they were vowing to each other. Such confusion had caused them issues over the last few years, and while this would change how the mage's saw him, it didn't diminish his feelings.

This was also the fulfillment of Yania Sol's final wish, as well as the place where Tala had been born anew as a vampire. Here, he would fully be born again as a Sol and leave the last traces of his pained past behind.

That is, if he could get his guests to function at normal capacity. There were a few issues to say the least. One of which stood in front of him now, her jaw unhinged. Meredith Aurion's brown curls had been done for the occasion, tightened, styled, and clipped over her ears. They ran a beautiful tangle behind her head, and a single grouping hung over her forehead and down the right side of her face. It wasn't so much her nor her elegant form-fitting pitch gown that was the problem.

It was her mate next to her.

Talamayas had failed to inform Remus Shade just who his mate was, so Wren now stood awkwardly in front of a vampire as he tried to calculate the implications of such a thing. Wren's arms were useless at his side; crossing them would be rude, vampires didn't shake hands, and he figured any movement would set Remus Shade off like a powder keg. Deep emerald bored into Wren the same way many vampires had before, with suspicion, hatred, and threat, but Remus had been invited and could do nothing here without risking his alliance.

"Thank you for attending," Wren said tightly to both Meredith and Remus, unsure if focusing on one of them would be offensive.

"Where did all your hair go?" Meredith asked, cutting the tense mood, and Remus let out a slow sigh of agony. It was a frequent sound with the man, and Remus turned away from his mate to likely shake Tala to death.

"It's custom to cut it, I'm told," Wren said, relaxing as Remus Shade stalked off to go break someone. At least it wasn't him. "I will be growing it back, if that concerns you. I'm not much for this style."

"You still look pretty snappy," Meredith said with a chuckle, her cinnamon eyes glowing. "I was half expecting you and Tala to match." Meredith gestured toward Tala where he stood with Neil, and his soul bound flicked him a brief smile.

Tala didn't dress up, and was as a mass of tan muscles with his normal desert pants. Even so, Forest had helped Wren with ceremonial mage garb, and he quite liked his mage robes. They were tied tighter at his waist, but hung loose sleeves to near his knees over airy ivory pants. Part of him was saddened by the string of notes that tied together in golden embroidery over his chest and sleeve edges, but he was also glad to honor his people. This was farewell to the Songs, and he was happy to usher in the prelude to the Sols with the final requiem of his people.