Chapter 7 - Stone (Part 1)

The Sol leader had returned after being gone for the entire night, and Stone watched him with fascination

The Sol leader had returned after being gone for the entire night, and Stone watched him with fascination. Ghost had passed out as soon as the sun had risen, but it had no effect on him. Unfortunately, with his brother asleep, he didn't know how to disengage the magic they'd been playing around with. Talamayas had been distracted for the past few days, so Ghost and he had explored their connection to each other, seeing just how far it reached, and Stone had found that he could funnel their energy somewhere else.

Where, he had no idea.

Either way, when he did so, it hid them from sight and sensation. They'd walked among the Sol generals and guards and none had been able to perceive them, though they could hear them if they made sound. Both of them were light though, so walking in silence was easy as he hovered close to the man that had taken them in. It had never been his intention to spy, but it was fortuitous that he could find out what he really wanted.

No vampire had altruistic motives.

In his arms, Talamayas held a boy that made Stone salivate, and he shook off the hunger as he realized the boy was a vampire. The face and size had made him think of Neil, the human boy from before, but the coloring was all wrong. White had replaced the sheen of sunshine hair, and fangs stretched past his lips as he rolled over in his sleep as if he were in pain. Stone slid in closer to look. So it was the human boy who'd been so excited to spend time here, but he was now a monster. Or... not a monster, according to Talamayas, a vampire.

For all the muscles he had, Talamayas was gentle as he carried the boy to another room and set him down on a bench in the washroom. Talamayas stripped away his clothes and dark red stained his front below his face, smelling of blood, human blood, and Stone cringed. Ghost had killed both humans in their cell the day they'd been changed, ravenous after losing his own blood to save him from the abyss.

Neil had to be suffering as well, and it showed in the way he trembled even in his sleep as Talamayas eased him into a tub to slowly work the blood off of his skin. It was a slow, gentle process to wash the blood off of the boy, and Talamayas did it with care before drying, dressing, and laying him down on the bed to sleep. Lifting a single hand, Talamayas moved to touch him and hesitated for a moment. Why, Stone wasn't sure, but after a moment Talamayas straightened a few loose hair and moved them behind the boy's ear before he stood and left the room.

Just outside the room, Shan Sol took up sentry at the door, and Talamayas called to the nearest pair of guards. "Did you find the twins some place to sleep?" was the first thing Talamayas asked, and it warmed Stone that the man thought of them first. It shouldn't. Surely the man just wanted to use them in some manner.

"They..." the guard fumbled on his words, and Talamayas craned an eyebrow. "They disappeared, sir. We aren't sure when or to where, but we can't find them."

"I see," Talamayas said with a frown.

"Do you want us to search for them?" the man asked.

"No. If they don't want to be here, there is nothing I can do. Allow them passage if they return, but don't hunt them. Vampires already did them wrong, and I won't be added to that list."