Chapter 20 - Wren (Part 1)

Fifty years ago, when Talamayas Sol had dragged him down into that dungeon, Wren had thought that would be the last time he ever fought against vampires with the mage order

Fifty years ago, when Talamayas Sol had dragged him down into that dungeon, Wren had thought that would be the last time he ever fought against vampires with the mage order. Yet, here he stood on the frontlines, with his dark hood down to hide his identity and a grand mage on either side of him. On his right, Luna Aurion was a vision of moonlight hair and eyes so light a mage couldn't see their original blue unless they were kissing her. Form fitting black mage attire shrouded everything else about her, speckled with the star emblem of the Aurions.

To his left Kopje Cinder, the heir to the infiltrator class legacy, stood tall with a crew cut of greying chocolate hair despite having his eye gouged out by a vampire not a few weeks past. For those weeks, Kopje had trained tirelessly among Talamayas' men and alongside the Copses and Cascades until he was of use. Wren couldn't even remember when he'd been that dedicated to the mage order.

But he had been.

Once upon a time.

What was he now? That was the question of the year as he just barely met the eyes of the vampires who'd arrived to fight Neil and his allies, to eradicate the mages and dominate what was left of humanity.

Hel Valk was at the head of the two house heads visible so far, with rings pierced through his lip and his blond hair cut off in a crude half buzz that made him look deranged. The man was. Hel preferred to melt his enemies with lightning until their corpses were so charred they couldn't be identified by their loved ones. It was quite the level of Tala searing flesh so that they suffered longest, but they both boiled their enemies' insides.

Essence Fuse was the second here, a flamboyant show of his physique and attractive side. The man's silver hair fluttered through the wind,tied in a loose ponytail over his royal purple attire, wearing a smug smile as his generals flanked him and Hel from behind. No head was confident enough to go it alone against such a prominent mage complex like Levisca's. Essence's forte was blowing people to pieces, or injecting his magic into them and blowing off pieces. The Northern houses were all brutal.

"Hel Valk, and Essence Fuse," Kopje said, taking a step forward despite the perception issues he now had with only having one eye. The man balanced like a tightrope walker even though he'd had such a short time to master his new senses.

Wren was envious of such ability to adapt. Kopje and he didn't differ much in age, but he'd spent his life in the dungeons of Tala's castle while Kopje had fought for his life on the battlegrounds every day since his birth. Such was the life of the infiltrator class, the superior class born one or two to a generation.

"Kopje Cinder," Hel acknowledged him, flicking his lip ring with his tongue. "You've seen better days." The man laughed with is men, but Kopje remained resolute.

That sound heralded the arrival of the rest of the two men's houses, and they crept in one by one, filling the empty marble mural on the ground as well as the forest behind. All Wren had was a handful of mages and they weren't all grand mages. It made these men confident because they did not know they were concealing their forces, or if they did, they were underestimating their number.