Chapter 16 - Talamayas

"Is there something you want to ask?" Tala asked Wren as the man lingered more than he usually did

"Is there something you want to ask?" Tala asked Wren as the man lingered more than he usually did. When he spoke, Wren's grey eyes darkened, and he turned from him with annoyance. It had been a few months with the man by his side, and each day the man seemed to be getting more frustrated with something, but he wasn't saying what.

"It's nothing," Wren said quietly, and that had Tala moving within inches of him to try and figure it out. The man pressed to the wall to get further away, but Wren hadn't been so fearful of him since they'd started sleeping side by side. That had dispelled most of the man's fear in regards to Talamayas touching him, yet something still lingered.

"Talk to me," Tala insisted, placing a hand on the wall to keep Wren from escaping.

Just as the man opened his mouth to respond, Shan walked in on them.

"Talamayas, you have a visitor," Shan said, undoubtedly intentional on his general's part to keep them from getting any closer. The man hated the way he clung to Wren Song.

"Tell them to leave," Tala growled at Shan.

His general planted his feet, squared his shoulders, and cocked an eyebrow. "Very well. I will tell Neil you're busy. Have him come back next century." Shan lowered his gaze, and Tala reluctantly left Wren to go to Shan's side.

"Why didn't you say it was Neil first?" Tala asked as he hurried out of the room, and Shan followed shoulder to shoulder with him.

"Like I'd interrupt your interrogation of Wren Song for another reason," Shan retorted, and Tala would have socked him if he was anyone else. No one else would dare say anything to him though, so it left Shan with at least that much protection. Tala needed honest advisors who looked out for his best interests.

"Has he said anything?" Tala asked, and Shan shook his head.

"It is customary for visitors to wait in the throne room to greet the house head of the area, Talamayas. Neil is a leader of his people now, so he is doing what is expected of him." Shan explaining it to him just ground it in that Neil was no longer the seven-year-old he used to lift in his arms and hold to make sure he felt safe.

It had been so long since he'd seen him, and Talamayas knew that after he'd marred the woman he cared about, this wasn't going to be a pleasant visit. The fear of the way the man might look at him now, kept his eyes averted as he walked around the outside of the throne room, feeling the pleasant roll of Arc magic that announced his presence. It wasn't until he was seated in his throne and he had composed himself into the epitome of indifference, that he lifted his eyes up and met Neil's.

Neil stood tall, his expression the same, the one worn by a leader of his people here to converse with another on an equal level. It was, however, not as hostile as Tala had expected, and as soon as Neil saw how Tala was facing him, he looked around to the other guards remaining at the ready to kill him if he moved wrong. Nervousness overtook the man, and his eyes fell to the floor.