Morning in The Castle

Kilan woke the next morning from a dreamless sleep and spied a breakfast table laid out for him nearby.

He lay still for a moment however, listening for movement. Were the servants in the room? Did they stay in the room or sleep elsewhere? Surely they sleep elsewhere right? But then they’d also get up earlier then The Masters or the guests, so did that mean they crept around the room while he was asleep.

The idea unnerved him so, slowly sitting up, he let out a soft call.

“Hello?”

There was no answer. So he tried again, slightly louder.

When no answer came again, he threw the covers off and slid out of the bed, walking over to the breakfast table.

Gingerly touching the silver handle to check if it was hot, he lifted the lid to see what was underneath.

“I’ll take that, Sir,” someone said behind him and Kilan shrieked, the lid flying into the air and straight into the ready hands of a young man who was staring at Kilan like he was mad. “I apologise,” he said quickly.

“Where did you come from?!” Kilan gasped, sinking into the seat beside him.

The man blinked, looking at him with confusion. “Um… the door,” he said and Kilan looked to the double doors that were closed. How could he have opened the doors, closed them and walked across the room without Kilan hearing anything? It was more than two decades since someone had last been able to sneak up on him.

Kilan looked at the young man then. They were probably close to the same age and he had dark brown hair and matching eyes. It was an easy face to look at, nothing threatening or overwhelming like the man’s Masters.

The man bowed then, the lid still in his hands.

“I’m Jeremy, Sir,” he said, “Mrs Ripley has put me in charge of your care while you’re staying with us.”

“Who?”

“Mrs Donna Ripley is Head Housekeeper of the Upper Floors,” he explained. “Mrs Jem Stanley is the Head Housekeeper of the Lower Floors.”

“What about the others from yesterday? One was a doctor?”

“Dr Jasper Rowe, yes Sir.”

“Then the women.”

“Millie is your maid, Sir; she will tend to your rooms. Madam Vanessa is indeed in charge of these rooms and is there should you need her for something I cannot help with, but her priority is the wellbeing of Master Beldon and his quarters are located in The West Wing and this is The East Wing.”

“… I see,” Kilan said, nodding and they both fell silent for a moment. “Alright then,” Kilan said, biting his lip, “Sooooo…”

Jeremy started, like he had just remembered why he was there, and quickly set the silver lid down. “Breakfast,” he said.

“Breakfast,” Kilan agreed quickly, spinning to the dishes before him. He stared. It was a feast. He couldn’t eat all that! Fruits, pastries, breads, meats, cheeses and more. “Am I eating with someone?” he asked, looking up.

Jeremy looked at him in confusion. “No, would you like company?”

“No, but it’s just this is a lot for one person.”

“You don’t have to eat it all, just whatever you want.”

“What will you do with what is left?”

“Send it back to the kitchens.”

“What will they do with it?”

Jeremy looked at him; his brow creased, then frowned, thinking about it. “I don’t know,” he finally said, “I don’t go down there.”