Beyond the Prison Wall

Kilan sat up in bed, leaning against the pillows, the cover gripped in his hands. He knew Daily was sat by the bed but he couldn't see him.

Bandages covered his eyes which still ached, but nothing compared to what they had felt like the night before.

"I warned you," Daily said, his voice a great deal more gentle then Kilan would have expected. "I warned you that this was dangerous. Briar warned you. Even Mother warned you, and yet you persisted. Kilan, you could have died."

"I know who cursed Briar," Kilan said softly and Daily let out a furious breath.

"Kilan, enough!" he snapped, "Why are you so obsessed with this girl?!"

"Because she's my friend, and I promised her."

"Kilan, you don't owe her your life," Daily said, leaning forwards and gripping Kilan's hand. "Is this about Nico? Is this a guilt you've been harbouring, because you couldn't save him you have to save her? Nico wasn't your fault, there are people you can't save and Briar is just another one of them, like Nico."

"My eyes," Kilan muttered.

"Your eyes will be alright, in time," Daily replied, "I was able to take the spell out. But what if I hadn't been here? What would you have done without a Remover? Kilan, you're going to die at this rate. Please, just stop."

"I know who cursed Briar," Kilan repeated and Daily grabbed the front of his shirt, wrenching him forwards, so close Kilan could feel Daily's breath on his face.

"Do you still not get it?" Daily hissed. "It's over, Kilan. You failed. Briar is going to remain asleep and you are going to leave this wretched cursed castle for good. You are going to return to your job. You're going to travel to the continent and Collect fairytales. Eventually I will follow and things will return to normal. You're going to forget."

"Ry," Kilan said softly, his hand closing around Daily's, easing the grip off his shirt. "I know who cursed Briar and I can't help her."

Daily let out a sigh. "Kilan," he said, his voice slow and deep, "Sometimes when one plays with fire, they don't just get singed. They go up in flames and are burned alive. Don't end up like your family by angering someone who it more powerful then you. You are the last of the House of Denny. You are a Storyteller. You don't dreams. Stop. Dreaming."

~~~~~~

"It's started."

Kilan lifted his head at the sound of the door opening and someone walking in.

"Should you be here then?" he asked.

"They won't miss me, this ball has more hostesses then needed," Beldon said as he took a seat. "I'm afraid The Thirteenth Fairy hasn't arrived."

"It's alright, I didn't expect her to."

"Is that so," Beldon muttered, though it wasn't a question.

"I'm sorry," Kilan said.

"For what?"

"For not freeing Briar."

"Well, you tried," Beldon said, "one cannot ask for more."

"I really thought I knew what to do," Kilan said, "I'm not used to failing."

"So this is what was in your eyes?"

Kilan turned his head as Beldon moved and knew what Beldon was looking at without seeing it.

He nodded. "Yes, Daily was able to pull it out before it set for good."

"How fortunate for you."