The Girl in The Tower

Kilan almost ploughed several servants down in his haste to get to Beldon's office ten minutes later, after he had actually found his way out of the servants halls.

He burst through the double doors - the motion jarring his juries - and almost fell over to carpet as he skidded to a stop.

Beldon and his valet - Iago - were in the room, their backs to him as they looked over large sheets of paper that covered the desk.

Upon his entrance, Iago looked over to him while Beldon said, "A servant can't just come barging into rooms, Kilan, they must always knock," without straightening from his work.

"Beldon, you didn't mention anything about hiring me," Kilan said, striding forwards.

Iago held up a hand, ordering him to stop in the middle of the room.

"You said you needed work. I'm sure you don't remember, but when you were last here I told you that there was always work here for you if you need it, that still remains to be so," Beldon said, making a note on another sheet of paper before setting his quill down and turning around, leaning back against the desk and folding his arms and crossing his legs at the ankle. He then smiled at Kilan. "Do you think I have overstepped my bounds?"

"Yes!" Kilan cried, then paused, "Well no... you didn't say anything about this."

"Well, you haven't signed anything saying you have to stay, you can always leave," Beldon said, "Find work elsewhere. Iago, show him his contract."

Iago walked around the desk and pulled a sheet of paper from a draw, joining Kilan and handing it over behind gesturing to a seat.

Kilan looked through the contract and was glad for the seat when he reached his wages because he hit the armchair seat hard when he sat down.

For a long time, he just stared at it. Then he held it up to Beldon, pointing to the pay.

"There's a misprint here," he said.

Beldon looked to where he was pointing. "No, that's correct."

"But..." Kilan said, "That those wages are... they're so much, no servants earns that in a month, not even at the palace."

"Yes well, here you do," Beldon said, "You'd only need work, say, a few months to save as much in the year. No money is spent on food or places to stay; you've seen your room after all. You will of course be expected to work to the standard expected of all staff here, but I'm sure you'll manage just fine."

"Are you doing this because you still feel guilty?" Kilan asked.

"Partly."

"You shouldn't."

Beldon tilted his head to the side. "I'm offering you an easy opportunity with no strings attached, Kilan. Are you rejecting it out of pride?"

Kilan was quiet for a moment. "I'm not rejecting it," he muttered. Beldon made to stand up and Kilan held up a hand. "But these wages, they're so high!"

"My wages are higher during The Season," Beldon said simply, "Have you ever worked a Season in a high ranking house?"

"No."

"Then you have yet to see the madness that follows behind the scenes," Beldon said, "Though you will start Below Stairs you are being paid the wages of an Upper castle servant, this is because I will expect you to assist me when I attend The Season."

"But why? What can I do that your trained staff cannot?"

"Entertainment. After all, I am an entertainer and what is better than having a story teller in my party? If you join us of course. Iago, quill, then escort Kilan back. You have yet to properly see the castle; you must take time to look around before you start tomorrow."