Do You Suffer?

Kilan woke with a jolt, smacked his head against something solid and two groans sounded in the darkness.

"Argh, don't do that," Jeremy hissed just a candle flickered on and Kilan saw Jeremy sat by his bed, holding his forehead.

"It's your own fault for being so close," Kilan hissed back, rubbing his own head.

"I was adjusting your pillow, that's the thanks I get for being nice," Jeremy muttered, reaching over him and finishing adjusting his pillow, a little rougher then he probably would have when Kilan had been asleep.

Kilan peered out from under his arm and didn't recognise the room.

"Where am I?"

"Dr. Rowe's apartments, one of his patient rooms. He wanted to be able to monitor you."

"How long was I asleep?"

"Not very long," Jeremy said, smoothing his quilt before sitting down again. "It's about five in the morning now."

Kilan looked at him in surprise. "Why are you awake? You'll be exhausted come morning."

"I don't mind, I always seem to be looking after you and your injuries."

Kilan frowned at him but could hardly deny it.

Jeremy chuckled slightly and leant back. "Besides, I can go back to sleep later. Beldon's letting me sleep in late tomorrow since he had me woken up to look after you while he stepped out."

"Stepped out? How long have you been here?"

"Not long, a half hour maybe?"

"What? Master Beldon was here at half four?" Kilan asked, shocked.

"He was. He only meant to check in on you and ended up staying for ages. I don't know why. Hopefully he's gone to bed; I know both he and Master Luka are busy tomorrow."

Just as he was saying that, the door opened and Beldon stepped in, shadows and candle light catching in his hair before he looked around and stopped when he saw Kilan was awake.

"I'm glad to see you've come around," he said softly, closing the door and walking over.

"Master Beldon, you should be asleep," Kilan said, pushing up onto his elbows before sitting up.

"Lie, Kilan," Beldon said.

"I'm alright, Sir, really. You shouldn't be worrying about me."

Beldon looked at him for a moment, then looked at Jeremy. "You may return to bed now," he said.

"I can stay, Sir," Jeremy said.

"No, you may go. Sleep. You will have you late morning as promised. You've done your duty, I apologise for having you woken."

"No, Sir, it's alright," Jeremy said as he stood up. He bowed to Beldon and left quietly, closing the door behind him and Beldon took the seat he had vacated.

"I really am alright," Kilan said.

"I know you're alright," Beldon said, crossing his legs and leaning back. "Dr. Rowe told me early on that you would be fine. You didn't breath in enough smoke to do any damage. The burns you suffered were surprisingly un-severe and the shelves coming down on you didn't worsen the injuries you already have. All in all, you're lucky to a questionable level, like something helped you."

Kilan looked at him in confusion. He almost thought Beldon was accusing him of something but Beldon then waved it off.

"If something was helping you, I'm glad of it, be it luck or the Southern Wind, I'm glad you were not seriously hurt. It was very brave of you, to rush in a save Charlie."