~Epilogue ~ An Uncollected Tale of Sleeping Beauty

"Is she still angry at you?" Beldon asked, folding his arms as Kilan checked the fastening of one of his saddle bags.

Kilan glanced across the entrance hall to Briar – who was talking to Luka, Vanessa, Edward, Stephanie and Charles – then looked back at Beldon and smiled. "She still somewhat hates me," he replied.

"Unsurprising, you do somewhat deserve it," Rosalia said, frowning at Kilan.

"Yes, I know, but every now and then there are rules I actually follow, though I think she may actually put me to sleep again out of revenge."

"Where will you go first?" Beldon asked.

"I'm going to visit my godfather," Kilan said, taking his cape that Jeremy held out to him and swinging it over his shoulders. "I think it's time I reconnected with him and I think that would be a good starting journey for Briar, something simple."

"Will you tell Daily that your curse has been broken? When he left he thought you the same as dead," Beldon said.

Kilan didn't answer for a moment as he fussed off the fastening of his cape, which was already done up. "He'll find out one day," he finally said.

"But you won't tell him."

"Well," Kilan said, smiling slightly, "he is still a Remover and I am still a Storyteller. That truce we had is over now, back to work. No need to have him chasing me all over the continent, that'll hardly be fun for Briar."

Beldon glanced at Rosalia and they smiled at each other.

"Take care of yourself, Mr. Denny," Rosalia said, holding out a hand.

Kilan took her hand and bowed over it. "Of course," he said, "And I'll have more stories to tell when we next visit." He then stepped back and bowed to Beldon. "Thank you for everything you've done for me," he said, "I don't know how to repay your kindness."

Beldon just waved it away and held out a hand. "Look after Briar and you'll do more than enough," he said and Kilan nodded, gripping his hand tightly.

"Of course."

Beldon nodded in reply then stepped aside so Jeremy, Millie and Tobias could have their moment.

"We're going to miss you, Kilan," Millie said, hugging him tightly.

"I'll be back soon, though," Kilan said, hugging her in return.

"Be sure to write to us, you must write to us," Jeremy ordered, wrenching him into a bone cracking hug as soon as Millie let go.

"Ow, alright, I promise, please let go," Kilan choked out, gasping for air.

"Just keep yourself and the princess safe, that's all I ask," Tobias said, pulling Jeremy off Kilan and taking his hand, shaking it.

"Thank you for everything," he said, looking at each of them.

"Oh, just go, before I start to cry," Jeremy said, pushing him and Kilan laughed, clapping him on the shoulder and taking the reins of his horse, walking across the entrance hall towards the doors, stopping at the threshold, looking back to wait for Briar.

She was just saying her goodbyes to her servants when Luka turned to Kilan, walking towards him, his gaze like ice as he loomed over Kilan and Kilan instantly shrank back against his horse.

He would never get used to that gaze.

Luka looked down on him for a moment, then his eyes suddenly softened, by just a degree and – to Kilan's utter shock – he bowed.