HEAR HIM OUT (ch.10)

CHAPTER TEN: hear him out

"You ready for this?" John B asked us. We all nodded in response. "So, the gold never went down with the Royal Merchant."

"Oh, my God. Here we go again with this." Pope sighed in annoyance.

"No.  All right, wait. Hear him out, all right?" JJ blurted out.

"It's been here the whole time." John B pointed his fingers to the ground and moved them in circles.

"It's on the island. Are you serious?" Kie excited.

"Oh. my. God." i said as my jaw dropped.

"I'd like to voice my skepticism." Pope tried to interfere.

"I'm sure you would, Pope, but can I please present you with my evidence, sir?" John B asked the boy.

"Proceed." he gestured.

"All right. So, in my backpack, I have a letter from Denmark Tanny." John B pulled his backpack off his shoulder.

"Who the hell's that?" Kie and i said in sync.

"Denmark Tanny was a slave that survived the Royal Merchant wreck. Check this out." John B pulled something out of his handing it to Kie. "Here you go."

I'm assuming JJ already knew all this information due to his lack of speech.

"Okay, slaves weren't mentioned as crew members on the ship, but my dad, he found the complete manifest. That was his big discovery. So Tanny used the gold from the Merchant to buy his freedom." John B explained. "After that, he bought his farm.
Drumroll, please, because that farm is..."

John B continued while Pope patted his knees for a "drumroll".

"Tannyhill Plantation." John B said with a huge smile.

"Tannyhill?" Kie, Pope, and i said in sync, in complete shock.

"Yeah. So, after that, he used his money to free even more slaves, and then he sold a shit-ton of rice, which pisses off all the white planters, and then they decide to lynch him. So on the day they were coming to get him, he writes a letter to his son as a farewell, and in the last line of that letter, he leaves a coded message about where to find the gold." John B explained the whole story.

"Where?"

"Harvest the wheat in parcel nine, near the water. Except... there's no wheat. You see, wheat is code for gold. Check this out. The gold is in parcel nine, near the water." The brunette continued talking.

"Holy shit." Kie laughed.

"All we need is an original survey map of the property, and we've found the gold. " John B finished.

"Okay, so this might have a small chance of being actually true." Pope got his hopes up.

"Dude, it's like King Tut. I am a genius." John B continued.

JJ quickly hopped up, making me move my hands that were resting around him.

"Hey, whoa! Hello! Fire! You're near the fire. You're gonna burn." John B forced the boy to set him down as JJ picked him up and bounced around.

"I'm so proud of you right now." JJ squealed.

"Thank you. That's really sweet of you." John B said as the blonde walked back over to me and sat back down in front of me.

"Okay, so, guys. What's the plan?" Pope asked.

"Good question." John B pointed to the dark haired boy before continuing. "Sarah Cameron's coming tonight. She'll bring an original survey map..."