Chapter 25: Meeting David (Emma)

"Emma?" I turn at the sound of my name and meet the bright eyes of a man. He gives me a happy, yet nervous smile.

"Yes?" I respond, curious as to why this man is here.

The man takes a deep breath, as if happy that he hadn't made a mistake. "My name is Edwin, and I'm going to teach you how to be a grim reaper." He explains. I nod my head, letting him know I understand. He looks awkward again. "Well, uh, I suppose I should start off with the most basic thing." I tilt my head, showing him that I am listening. He frowns.

"Not much of a talker, huh?" He asks, looking a bit disappointed. I bristle. How dare he? My role as a woman is to sit and look pretty.

No, it isn't.

Rex. He always believed I should express myself. He thought the way I was with Rufus was outdated and stupid. He wanted me to tell him my opinions and have my own voice.

I swallow, "I talk when I like, not when someone else wants me to." I tell the man, Edwin. He blinks, as if positive he had heard wrong. Then he throws his head back and laughs.

"Oh, I already know me and you are going to get along." He shakes his head, but a smile is firmly in place. He looks cute. A sweet person. Someone who only wants to be friends with people.

I ignore his assumption that we'll get along and get back on topic. "So, what is the most basic thing we do?"

Edwin, looking a bit disappointed, responded, "We collect souls. We go into the living world and take the recently departed souls...if we can." He tacks on at the end.

"What do you mean?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Some souls don't want to leave when we dictate and stay in the living world as spirits or 'ghosts' as the living would call them." He inclines his head, hinting that we should start walking. I follow his lead and time my steps to match his.

"Right," I said, remembering all the ghost stories that Rufus used to tell me.

"Anyways, after we collect the souls, we bring them back here to be judged." Edwin continues on and flips his hand to indicate our location.

"And after that?" I asked, ready to get to work.

"Well once the souls are judged, it's up to us or the guardian angels to escort them to their destination." He tells me, leading me down another long hallway. Why is this place so freaking big? Then I process his words.

"'Guardian angels'?" Edwin glances at me, seeming to take note of my tone.

"Yes, they are in charge of being the 'voice in our heads'. They do their best to lead us on the best possible path." Edwin explains, studying my face. It's like he knows he said something wrong.

Rage floods me. Where was my guardian angel? I hadn't seen shit. I remember getting lead here by some girl, but that's it. I don't remember ever seeing an angel. There was no one in my courtroom either. Are guardian angels supposed to be there for my sentencing? But back to the bigger issue. How could I have an angel and my life go as off the rails as it did? Where was my angel when I needed them in all my hard times?

Abandoned. I feel abandoned. Again.

I look to Edwin and I see a grim look on his face. It's like he knows what I'm thinking. Did he maybe feel the same way? Of course, he did. He wouldn't be a reaper otherwise.

I stare down at the courtroom beneath me. There is a man in his mid-forties, and he looks livid. He's not getting sent to Heaven. Oh no, he would be in Hell or Purgatory. I look over and see Edwin looking bored. I suppose this man would wind up being one of ours to escort.

The breakdown is simple: reapers escort anyone going to Hell or Purgatory. Angels can escort to Purgatory (rarely done) and always escort the ones going to Heaven.

"Grant Howard, you are hereby sentenced to Purgatory." I look at Edwin, and he motions for me to go. I hop over the fence and land onto the courtroom floor right in front of the man. He glares down at me and takes a step back. He isn't coming easily. I internally groan at the idea of this fight. Do I have to bring out the scythe? I hate having to turn my bracelet into it.

"Grant, would you like me to escort you?" I jump at the voice that comes from behind me and whirl around. I see the faint glint of the halo floating above the boy's head. An angel. Realization strikes me. This is a guardian angel. I have never seen one.

Grant looks pissed. "Why would I want a worthless idiot like you to escort me?! This is all your fault." The man spits at the angel, glaring at him with so much hate, that I even shudder at it. I look behind me to see the angel's reaction...and he looks guilty.

"I'm sorry, I wish I could've done better." He then dips his head at me. He mouths the words, so Grant would not get any more irate, "Keep him safe." He then walks away; his head bowed.

I'm frozen. A guardian angel that cares? They exist? I've been here for a month and this is the first time I have seen one actually here for sentencing. I'm tempted to chase after him and talk to him. Learn more about him. Understand.

"Emma." I jump again and look up to see Edwin, a worried look on his face. Right. I turn back to the man, Grant. He glares back at me and braces himself as though he were about to fight. Great. I sigh, flipping my wrist so my scythe will come.

I never forgot him though, I learn his name is David. I learn that he isn't exempt from disliking grim reapers. I learn that he cares for every single one of his charges. I learn that none of them made it to Heaven. I learn how kind he is.

I learn how much I truly value him when we race to the hospital with a baby wrapped in my jacket, the wind biting our cheeks.