Chapter 9: Formative Years (Emma)

A few years have passed since we came to Rufus, and I developed a basic routine. I get up every morning and do the basics: brush my teeth, brush my hair, and get dressed. I go down and eat breakfast. Then, I go and get a short lesson on reading and writing from Dad. He has Mr. Smith to help me with math. Next, I go and play with Rufus. I do this until the end of the day when Mom drags me back into the house. I then bathe and go to bed. Every once in a while, my routine changes, and those are the best days.

            Rufus sometimes stays at our house for the night. He rarely stays on his own, saying it's lonely. Dad always tells him he should find a wife. He always gets quiet when Dad says that. I love waking up, knowing that Rufus is in the house. He goes to my classes with me and listens intently to what Dad says. He gets as frustrated as I do with math. Poor Mr. Smith, having us for students. I doubt he expected to get two kids. And then the day is ours. We can do anything.

            Today is one of these amazing days.

            I wake up and grin as I hear the rustling coming from Rufus's room. The third bedroom, that is right next to mine is always his. I get up and rush to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Once Rufus hears me moving around, he will come out of his room. Next, I go and get dressed for the day. Then I head downstairs to have breakfast. I walk out of my room to see Rufus standing outside leaning against the wall. He gives me his charming smile, "fit for a prince" Mom once said.

            "Race ya." He says and takes off. I squeal and run after him.

            "This ain't fair, Rufus. You got a head start!" I yell after him. He makes it down the stairs and rushes to the kitchen, where I hear Mom's laughs drifting from. I make it to the kitchen to see Mom by the stove, still giggling. Dad is sitting at the table, with his coffee a smile on his face. Rufus stands at the kitchen table, right behind a chair. He whirls around to face me.

            "Beat ya!" He shouts, throwing his hands in the air.

            "Only cause you cheated." I retort, but giggling, nonetheless. I sit down beside Dad and he taps my wrist. That's his way of saying 'good morning'. Such a weirdo. I give him a smile. Rufus studies us, a weird look in his eyes. He slides into the chair next to mine and turns his attention to Mom, a frown on his face.

            "Y'all ready for the meeting tonight?" He asks, nodding at Mom when she puts a cup of coffee in front of him.

            "Mom, why can't I have coffee?" I ask, Rufus gives me a look but turns his attention back to Mom.

            "We're ready, I cannot wait to hear your sermon!" Mom gushes at him. She then gives me a sharp look, "You're too young for coffee, Emma." I start to whine, but she gives me another look and I quiet down. But I do pout though.

            "You can have a cup soon, Emma," Dad says, "We'll let you on your birthday." I give a small cheer. Mom then gives Dad a sharp look; he focuses on Rufus, "I'm always excited to hear what you have to say, Rufus." He says it so stiffly. He's been doing that a lot more recently. Dad doesn't seem to like Rufus as much as he used to.

            Rufus smiles at Dad, "I'm glad you're both so excited about it." He says, "Thank ya, Margaret." He says to Mom as she places a plate in front of him.

            A new thought enters my head, "When can I go to the meetings?" I ask as Mom places a plate in front of me. I had a lot less food than Rufus did. So, does Dad. If he notices he doesn't say anything.

            "You're still a bit young for that, honey," Dad says, cutting up his eggs.

            Mom frowns, "I think Emma is more than old enough to appreciate the brilliance that Rufus preaches." She sits down at the table and puts a napkin in her lap, like the proper lady she is. She gestures for me to do the same, which I do...unhappily.