Chapter 17: Burning (David)

When the light swallows me this time, I don't even feel fear. At least I am finally getting it. I would be pulled into a terrible memory and then pulled back out when the worst parts of it were over.

            Honestly better than sitting in the darkness with my thoughts chasing each other around. Warring with myself over whether Emma and Little Guy are okay. A battle I'm never going to win no matter what.

            The light finally clears and I feel a jolt of surprise. I'm in my church. I look to my right and see my mother with her head down praying. Right next to her is my father. My body suddenly rebels against me and I'm forced to duck my head in prayer as well. I don't need to look up to know what's happening.

            Pastor John would be in front, leading us all in prayer. Everyone in the pews with me would be in the praying position. Pastor John would have the Bible open in his right palm. And the choir would be behind him, waiting for his cue to start singing their beautiful hymns.

            A normal Sunday morning.

            Well, it was supposed to be.

I want to open my eyes. Scream the warning. Tell everyone what was coming. But I can't. I can only stay praying. I already even know what I am praying for.

            For Mary to be happy in Heaven with the Lord.

            For the little boy to be wrapped in the Father's arms.

            For forgiveness for the grievous sin, I committed.

            It was the same thing I prayed for every day of my living life. At this point, I was who I am now. I had revived as the David I am. The one who accepts and loves all of God's creations. The one who knows the wrong he did, and asks for forgiveness, instead of the one who made excuses. I became a man I could look in the mirror and not feel the same disgust Mary felt.

            I hear the sound of horses' hooves and grimly prepare myself for the immense pain that is about to come.

            I felt my body shift a bit, readjusting to get more comfortable. I hear a child shush me for the slight noise I made. I smile, remembering the time when I believed everything had to be absolutely silent for the Lord to hear you.

            I can already faintly smell the smoke.

            "Amen!" Pastor John cries quickly followed by everyone in the procession.

            Pastor John motions to the choir and they start rearing up to sing. I hear confused murmurs in the back, them finally smelling the smoke.

            "Quiet, please." Pastor John called, cradling the Holy Book in his hands. Open to John 3:16 more than likely. It was his favorite.

            The confusion made it to the middle. Pastor John looks upset, and he opens his mouth, but the sound of shattering glass overrides his words. Shrieks fill the air as the first flaming torch comes sailing in. My body reacts, jumping up. I look down to Ma who's shaking. Pa had jumped up with me and starts to pull on Ma's arm.

            "Get outside!" Pastor John yells to all of us. So many are already at the doors and had made it out. Then the guns start firing. Ma gives a small shriek of fear.

            Pastor John makes his way to the front to see what is happening. He makes it to the door's entrance. A gunshot. Pastor John falls back into the church, a small hole in his head. The shrieks rise. I look down at Ma and see her crying, staring at the body of our pastor. Pa looks shaken up. He's glancing around but probably had already figured out that the church was surrounded. None of us would make it out.

            Another glass window shatters and another torch flies in. It won't take long for this place to burn. Someone makes it to the window, intending to crawl out.

            CRACK!

            He collapses down like a house of cards. His wife shrieks even louder, begging for help. My body tries to move, but Ma is holding on so tight, I can't move. I look down at her. I could see the desperation in her eyes. I look to Pa and see the grim acceptance finally settling in.

            We either burn or get shot. No matter what, we died.

            I watched as he looks down at Ma, frowning. I know what he's thinking. Which would be less painful for her. Burning. Or being shot. I see the moment he decides. He rips Ma's hand off my arm.

            He looks at me and I see all the love and pride he has for me, "Do what you need to, Son."

            I stay behind as Pa leads Ma to the back, towards the door. They don't make it very far.

CRACK!

            CRACK!

            Both my parents fall to the ground. Dead. Gone.

            Pa left me to make my own decision.

            I choose to burn.

            I will burn for what I did. For hurting Mary as much as I did. For killing the poor little boy. I will happily accept this fate.

            I closed my eyes and let the flames swallow me. I start to scream. The pain is so intense. My skin feels like it's boiling.

            And then I'm back in nothing.

            If I could hug darkness I would. I hate the sensation of burning alive. I close my eyes, happy for the cool feeling of the darkness.

            Foronce my thoughts are quiet.