Chapter 26: Michael's Friend (Emma)

We're back in the Judgement Room. Ming is standing by us. She releases her wings and flies up to the balcony. I follow her pathing and see Edwin standing up on the balcony. He looks down and sees me and I wave. His eyes fill with relief. He jumps down and lands in front of me. He pulls me into a hug, and I feel a sense of calm flow through me. I feel at home.

"Hey, Eddy," I say, hugging him back, for the first time ever. I feel his shock at me calling him the name he had been wanting to hear me say for ages.

"Hey, Emma." He utters back. "Hey, Mikey." Eddy acknowledges Michael.

"Eddy." Michael hums, back to his usual cocky self. He wraps his arms around the both of us, making us into a group hug. I hear Eddy huff and try to pull away, but I pull him in tighter.

"No Emma, you traitor." Eddy laughs, trying again to pull away with no luck. Someone clears their throat, and we all break apart to look up at the judges. They're frowning, not used to reapers and guardians interacting.

"We would like to start, please." The child judge on the left end pipes up, sounding awkward. The three of us nod. I make my way to leave, but I feel Michael grab my hand. I look at him, not understanding. I look to Eddy, and he isn't moving either. He glances at me, telling me to stay put. So I do.

"We are ready to begin." The old man judge's voice booms, startling me. "It is time for us to reconsider the fate of David Arnold Hugh." My heart jumps into my throat. I flip my head towards Michael, not quite believing my ears. He gives me a small side smile, before focusing on the judges. I look to my right to Eddy and he has never taken his eyes off the judges. What is he doing here?

"We would also like the room to stay silent as we introduce a guest." The old man continues, clearing his throat, looking a bit nervous. "Everyone welcome Angel Gabriel to the courtroom." I feel my jaw drop. I once again look at Michael, but his eyes are not moving to meet mine. I look to the front and almost gasp at the beautiful golden light. I can't see a body, but I instinctively know that hidden within that light is the Angel Gabriel.

The little boy clears his throat once more, "The Angel Gabriel looked into a case we had put a ruling on fifteen years ago. He found the judgment to be unfair and has lessened the sentence of David Arnold Hugh, a former guardian angel. And with the approval of the Lord." All of the air in my lungs comes out in a whoosh and my knees buckle. Michael and Eddy quickly grab onto my elbows holding me up. I hear a gasp from behind me, and I know it's Ming. She can't believe this miracle either. I hear footsteps and I look to my right and I breathe out, not believing it.

David.

David is here.

He looks a bit traumatized and he's a bit worse for wear, but he's here. My legs move before I can stop them. I'm running towards David, tears falling freely down my face. I almost tackle him when I throw myself at him. I feel him stumble backward, but he quickly fixes himself and wraps his arms around my waist. I burrow my head into his neck, sobbing.

"Hey, Emma," David whispered.

"Hey, David." I choke out, another sob trying to escape.

"Tch." I hear to my left, but I ignore it. "Order please." I hear one of the judges mutter. I pull myself away, but I can feel all the happiness surging. I look at David and he looks at me, and I see everything I'm feeling mirrored there. We turn our attention back to the Angel Gabriel.

The middle-aged woman starts up, "As we were saying. Angel Gabriel has lessened David Arnold Hugh's sentence to a hundred years serving as a grim reaper. The fifteen years he spent in Hell will count towards those hundred years with the approval of the Lord."

David sobs next to me. He looks so...relieved. I couldn't imagine being in Hell. I shudder at the thought.

"Emma Johnson Walker." My spine straightens at the sound of my name. The young woman picks up, "Her sentence will also be reduced to only eighty-five more years, as per Angel Gabriel's request and with the approval of the Lord." I feel my jaw drop. What?!

I feel a new wave of tears flow down my face again. I feel David bring me into a side hug, holding me close. I can't believe it. Our sentences would end together.

The adult male continues, "And for his courage to go into the depths of Hell to fetch Grim Reaper David Hugh, Grim Reaper Edwin Ikeman's sentence will be lifted completely. Edwin Ikeman is now an angel." The judge declares. I blink. Did Eddy go into Hell? For David? I look over at him, and I see it now. The stiffness. The nervousness. He was in Hell. He went to Hell to retrieve David.

"This is per the request of Angel Gabriel and with the approval of the Lord." The old man finishes. He grabs his tiny little hammer and slams it onto the wooden disk. Signifying the end of the court. I collapse and David follows me.

Michael and Eddy run over to us, and the light that hid Gabriel from us dims until it's completely gone. The room feels colder now that the warmth of Gabriel is gone. Michael crouches in front of us, while Eddy stands behind looking down at us. I look up and notice his black earring is gone and the faint halo that indicates an angel hangs over his dark hair. A sob rises in my throat.

Eddy is an angel. He's going to Heaven. Tears of happiness rise to my eyes.

"David!" We all turn to see Ming, tears flowing freely from her eyes. David lets me go and rushes over to his old boss. She jumps into his arms. She buries her head into the crook of his neck. A beautiful picture.

I turn back to Michael and choke out, "You actually know Gabriel?" Michael laughs. He full-on laughs, throwing his head back and everything.

"Well duh! I'm a special case with being a former reaper and a guardian." He smiles and everything about him is so Michael. He looks over to David, "And I expect you to join me as a special case when you get back." He calls over to him. David snaps to attention, pulling out of his hug with Ming. David processes what Michael says and he doesn't even hesitate before nodding determination clear in his eyes.

"I hope you'll join us three too, lassie," Michael says a goofy grin on his face. I look up and see Eddy roll his eyes but nodding to confirm what Michael said.

"I want you there too, Emma." I see the glint of the gold along his ear. That matches the earring that belongs on Michael's and Ming's ears.

David crouches back next to me, while Ming takes her place next to David. She smiles at me, actually smiles at me.

I look at the four of them. My family. My closest friends.

"Well duh."