Chapter 4- The Guardian Tower (Emma)

I stare at the majesty that is the Guardian Tower. It is a tall vertical building extending unimaginable lengths. It is a pure gold building with windows on every floor. I look down at the note Edwin had written to me.

Pin: 4673
Fourth Floor—Ming

I walk up to the glass sliding doors, and immediately a small panel flips open displaying a set of numbers. I type in the numbers, harp music singing from the panel, and the doors slide open. I walk in gasps following my entrance. I look around and there are dozens of angels staring at me with shock and horror. I guess it is easy to recognize the difference between angels and reapers. I beeline for the elevator, ignoring them and their whispers. I stand with the angels by the elevator, waiting. I have to contain my laughter as they back away from me. They are confused, they didn't know what to do. There is like warrior angels if I remember the Bible right, but I guess they aren't around or used that often anymore. I mean what kind of crazy reaper would break into the Guardian Tower.

An angelic ding rings as the elevator arrives. I smirk as I walk into the glass elevator and press the button for the fourth floor. I turn around and wave at all the angels, still too flabbergasted to stop me. The elevator takes off and the speed throws me off. I stumble a bit and I have to lean my hand against the glass when the elevator violently halts. Dang, these angels really don't waste time. I stumble out of the elevator, still trying to get my bearings after that deadly elevator.

That elevator belongs in Hell.

I hear more gasps and whispers, then the distinct sound of something being dropped. I glance over to the noise and see the angel that had been there on the day of David's sentencing. Her gray eyes are as wide as saucers and a box of files were at her feet.

Ming.

I make my way to her and crouch down to pick up the box for her. I grab it and straighten back up and look into her eyes. "Hello, Miss Ming. I have something I wish to discuss with you." I tell her, being formal like Edwin instructed (one of the few times he knows right). Impossibly, her eyes widen further, and she looks around her as a chorus of whispers start up once more.

Finally, she grabs the box from me and nods her head in acknowledgment and starts walking. I follow right behind her, excited that I was finally getting somewhere. We make it to the something resembling a broom closet. Storage? She rests a box on the shelf with delicate care, and then turns to face me.

"Who are you and what do you want to discuss?" She demands, crossing her arms across her chest. Her eyes were fine daggers (she pulls off scary boss a lot better than Edwin).

"You don't recognize me, Miss Ming?" I ask, in my most innocent voice.

"Oh I recognize you, but I don't know your name. Or why you are here." She tells me, not budging an inch.

I sigh, "My name's Emma. And I have two things I want to discuss. First I want to know about the baby David and I saved."

"Oh you mean the thing that got him sentenced." She remarks, rolling her eyes. "You have no need to know."

"Bull—I mean I would just love to know, Miss Ming. I'm really concerned about the boy." I tell her, correcting my almost error. Formal and polite, just like Edwin said.

"As I said, you have no need to know. Reapers are only supposed to be concerned about the dead or dying, not the living." Ming says, done with me and my inability to understand the rules.

"This is a special case—"

She glares at me, looking somewhat hurt. "Wrong. You broke the rules. I know you did, even if David did defend you. And because you broke the rules, you have no right to know anything about that boy." She tells me, looking firm in her decision.