xii. the curious

hello readers...
just a friendly reminder that
this is a slow burn book :)
I didn't specify earlier
and for that I'm sorry.
bear with me.

THE CURIOUS

     "BUT WHAT OF VANAHEIM?" Serena found herself asking the same tiresome question for the hundredth time as the prince lead her down another open corridor, ignoring her words as if she hadn't even spoke them

"BUT WHAT OF VANAHEIM?" Serena found herself asking the same tiresome question for the hundredth time as the prince lead her down another open corridor, ignoring her words as if she hadn't even spoke them. A part of her supposed she should have seen it coming. How foolish of her to believe a prince would keep his word; though that didn't soften the blow enough for her to look past his meaningless boastings, or tune in to them.

Serena missed her home gravely, as any young woman in her position would. Each dreadfully long day that faded into another lonely, meaningless week deteriorated her heart until there was nothing left but a shell of the already lackluster muscle. Although she knew it to be just a pipe dream, a part of her held on to hope that if she could get past his pointless drabble, perhaps he would give her a teasing glimpse at the stories she so direly needed to hear.

And so, she was back at the start. "Please Thor, tell me of your visits to Vanaheim. I am very intrigued." She tried again, her voice sweeter this time as she had taken a deep breath to subdue her angry heart.

Thor offered his best lopsided grin and peered down at her tenderly from behind a thick curtain of lashes. "You are such a curious woman. Never have I met a dame so eager to hear about such tiresome thoughts. I can assure you it is not at all as beautiful as the books describe. The Vanir aren't the most lavish sort and their people, even less."

Serena's hands tightened into fists at her side as she did her best to bite her tongue, though it seemed she bit off more than she could chew. "I disagree." The words found themselves slipping past her lips despite her best efforts. A low mutter, though just barely distinguishable to deserve a response.

"Oh, do you? Why?" Thor inquired, the beginnings of a chuckle forming at the back of his throat adding a snarky emphasis to his already hurtful words.

"I'd spent my whole life there until now." Has he really forgotten already, Serena thought to herself.

"I suppose that could aid in harboring such strong emotions for a rather meaningless little place. Now Alfheim, have you ever been there? It is home to the Light Elves and a rather tumultuous woman with the-"

Serena's footsteps stopped so quickly the soles of her shoes squeaked against the marble floors as a wild anger flickered in her eyes like flames.

"Meaningless?" Her voice remained low though the docility that usually engulfed her words was now severely missing, and instead replaced with a harsh vexed tone. "You do realize a vast majority of your most prized soldiers have come from that so called little place." It was as if a bubble of rage had formed in the center of her throat, growing bigger and bigger as each dull gaze he casted her expressed how little he cared of her home.