xxii. the terribly terrific liar

THE TERRIBLY TERRIFIC LIAR

     "SOMETHING IS BOTHERING YOU

"SOMETHING IS BOTHERING YOU." Loki insisted casually, his hands mindlessly fiddling with the leather straps of the saddle while their eyes remained drawn to his friend, whose glazed over eyes and thoughtful expression provoked the exact opposite of what her lips spoke in reply,

"Oh, I'm fine, just lost in thought," She promised, her eyelashes swiftly batting away whatever thoughts were running rampant through her mind, and connecting with his own for a split second.

Serena flashed an enchanting smile Loki's way before anxiously settling her gaze back to the ground, as though the dusty floorboards offered her the answer to life itself— though not her thoughts.

Not even slightly convinced by her lame response, Loki shook his head, pulling the last strap taught, and began leading the horse from its enclosure; Serena sauntering not too far behind him, her eyes holding the same distant look that completely read as 'bothered.'

As they stepped outside the stables and back into the early afternoon light, Loki tried once more to infiltrate her elusive notions, "May I ask what troublesome thoughts have you so" he paused, moving his hands in circles as though mulling over his Rolodex of adjectives "...morose?" Loki, at last, inquired, determination present through his incessant forwardness and high questioningly arched brow.

"I do not look ...morose," Serena rebutted, emphasizing her words in the same manner he had in an attempt at teasing him. Catching the very end of his smile, Serena couldn't help as one of her own sprouted along her lips.

Ceasing her footsteps she then shifted her full attention towards Loki who had already slowed to a standstill and was tenderly stroking the horse's head.

"You're an awful liar," Loki spoke flippantly, tossing the reigns towards her,

Serena caught them easily, an expression of disbelief smearing away all traces of a smile. "What do you mean? I am n-- Woah, wait!" She tossed the rope back to him quickly, "No, no, no, how am I supposed to even get up there?"

Loki said nothing and smiled his eyes going from the horse back to Serena, an odd feeling filling up his stomach that made him simply want to laugh as he took in her panic-stricken face and wide worrisome eyes, a drastic difference from the silent girl from before.

Serena met his laughs with an odd look, permeated by a smile of her own and a soft chuckle as she looked away shyly, "I'm dreadfully serious though, I haven't the slightest clue."

"It's rather simple, uhh..." He began in a manner that made Serena think perhaps it wasn't really that simple. "Here give me your hand,"

Accepting his offer Serena placed her hand in his, her heart beating out of her chest as his fingers curled around her sweating palms and she silently prayed to the gods that he couldn't feel her pulse. "Just place one foot right there and then using your momentum, swing your other leg up and around." Loki gently guided her into place, his grip tightening momentarily as her shoe slipped against the metal stirrup and she abruptly lost her balance.