xiii. the sleepless

THE SLEEPLESS

     SERENA SPRANG UP IN BED QUITE SUDDENLY, her chest rising and falling rapidly as a woman's agonized screams faded from her subconscious and into the void yet again

as a woman's agonized screams faded from her subconscious and into the void yet again. Her labored breaths came in sporadic puffs that filled the chilly night air with condensation, leading her to immediately cover her mouth with her hands in an attempt to stifle any cries that could escape and possibly wake whoever was in the room beside hers.

For some silly reason she thought her nightmare wouldn't follow her to Asgard...

Serena was unbearably afraid— like she always was after her nightmare. Her body trembling as long beads of sweat traveled from her forehead to the already soaked sheets beneath her. Like the hundreds of times before, Serena's eyes scanned the room around her in desperation, searching for any sign that she was in immediate peril. Though per usual, none presented itself and she once again was left with her choking sobs to fill the silence of the night.

It was a vicious cycle that plagued her otherwise mundane existence, a scorching dream that left Serena both breathless and flushed in the worst possible ways. The dream usually began the same, with a blurry yet blinding reddish orange light that somewhat resembled flames. The light nipped at her flesh as she stood at the center of an ablaze kitchen, though it didn't cause her any pain.

Although she had the dream rather often and knew even in her unconscious state of the impending doom awaiting the unknown woman, the beginning of the nightmare was always quite pleasant. Just her, alone, standing in the heart of what she assumed was a fire.

And then they began. Loud, ear shattering screams that never stopped. With each passing second they grew louder, and loud and louder until she awoke and was left to deal with her aching sadness and crippling fear alone. She always ended up alone.

The thought made her return to reality, and another sob arose from the depths of her chest as the events of that afternoon flooded her senses.

Her own father didn't even want her.

"You are being ridiculous." Serena muttered sternly to herself, running a hand through her slightly damp hair and tugging slightly at the strands in anxious thought. Her voice was meek and entirely unconvincing, although she nodded her head in agreement anyways, deciding to play along with herself.

"There is absolutely nothing to worry about." Hastily she swiped at a rogue tear that spilled from the corner of her eyes, using her hand to smear it into her skin before it could drip any further down her flushed cheek. "Pitiful woman stop crying, it was only a dream."

A sudden knock caused Serena to jump in shock and glance towards the heavy wooden door that lead into her room. Should she respond? The anonymous visitor left no reason for her to as a soft voice from the other side spoke first,

"My lady, are you alright? I thought I heard screaming?" It took a moment before the voice clicked in her head as Asta. Scrambling from her bed, Serena made a mad dash for the door and forgetting it was locked, pulled harshly. With clambering hands she twisted the lock and flung open the door, throwing herself onto the woman in the process as hot tears streamed down her face with no remorse.