Chapter 3: Far from Home

Chaeyeon's POV

"Oh! Here it is," I pointed towards the rear end of the schematic drawing where it is labelled "Black Box". "I'm quite sure I heard that the Black Box will inform someone of our position."

"That's great, unnie!" Yujin gave me a relieved look. "Let's go find it then." Yujin pointed towards the tail of the airplane, before making a comedic, naruto-dash for the intended location.

Chaewon, Sakura and I exchanged expressionless faces, before giggling at how bursting with energy Yujin was. It was the small things she did that really lifted our spirits - even though how comical and childish it may appear. In these times, our morale was crucial towards our survival - no matter how insignificant it seemed.

"I'll be alright with them, Chaewon. Take care of Eunbi- and Yena-unnie." I lowered my hands into Chaewon's, grasping them tenderly as we bade her farewell. Together with Sakura and Yujin, we made our way towards the Black Box of the aircraft.

Yujin skittered across the pristine layer of snow concealing the moist, earthern ground beneath, causing countless footprints to emerge across the landscape.  Just right on her tail, Sakura and I assessed the damage of the crash as we followed Yujin.

"Chaeyeon," Sakura suddenly started, her eyes not turning away from the wreckage. The aircraft was split into bits and pieces as portions of the fuselage were separated with gaping tears in between. Not forgetting the gargantuan sunder in the middle of the body that caused a few unfortunate souls to be sucked out into the atmosphere. It is just dreadful to even think about it.

Nevertheless, the pieces all formed a straight neat row in the intended direction of the plane - before it crashed. "For taking care of things among us - gomawoyo." Her voice quivered a little. I could tell she was fighting away a teary moment - something was clearly getting on her nerves as she refused to face me.

"Unnie, look at me." I held her at her shoulders, forcing her to meet my eyes when they connected. "I know you're upset. But you don't need to force yourself to do anything."

Sakura always felt a pang of guilt whenever she couldn't live up to the expectations of being an elder. Knowing that she was the second eldest in the group, it pained her whenever she saw herself unable to care for her dongsaengs. Sometimes, she just didn't know what to do in the heat of the moment.

"Until you're ready, I'll be willing to help." Throwing my hands around her, I brought her close to my chest in a warm embrace. For a moment, the cold was warded away by the heat burning inside Sakura's chest - her heart that pumped vibrantly to keep her breathing. She tried to quieten her choking sobs as I rubbed my hand in soothing circles over her back. Slowly, she let out her feelings in my arms, and I could feel her warm tears soaking into my sweater. Eventually, she manages to fight the feeling of frustration, coupled with the depressing atmosphere of the freezing cold of grey, misty winds.

"Gomawoyo. For everything." Sakura continued, as we treaded carefully towards Yujin's position.

As she came into view around a sharp corner, we spotted her hailing onto us, needing some help to lift up a part of the plane. We lined up side by side in the interior upon reaching the area where the Black Box was. It was a little room hidden in the lower decks of the aircraft - just below where the passengers usually sat in economy. I wedged my fingers into the little gap where the hinges held the shutters closed. Together, we lifted hard. The shutters slammed up and opened. Right before us, was an orange cuboid with a cylindrical tank no larger than a shoebox.