Chapter 24: Drop The Masquerade

Sakura's POV

(A/N: Heads-up! Detective work is needed in this chapter!)

My fist hammered down against the control panel, just shy of the horizontal button positioned on the tabletop, causing metal and bludgeoning force to combine and emit a thunderous slam. I could feel an impossible build-up of steam within my body as it forced its way out the top, burning my insides with an inexplicable anger - like a kettle whistling due to the immense heat welled up within the container.

"Okay. Everyone come out." I barked the words in a commandeering tone, before I even realised my demeanour. This is just too much for me. We have put in too much effort. To fail now would be unfortunate - all our former efforts having been in vain. I could not understand.

Slowly, I watched as the four girls streamed out of the maze with heavy footsteps - their expressions washed the level look of uncertainty, and at the same time, fear.

"So, clearly someone here does not want us to do home." Crossing my arms over my body, I tapped my feet impatiently against the cement floor while stating the circumstances. The four girls sneakily stole gazes at one another - as if trying to sense who was guilty of this mess we have arrived at.

"Whoever you are, I want to say that you are fucking selfish."

The girls took a step back, likely startled as they were not expecting my cold and explicit remark.

"Why are you doing this to us? Do you really want us to starve of food out here in the mountains?" I continued - an attempt to elicit guilt and remorse from the evil-doer.

"Unnie." Yena spoke up, causing everyone to turn toward her. "You're being very hypocritical. How can we know that you aren't the one bamboozling us?"

"Listen, Choi," I took a few steps further into Yena's safe space, pointing an accusatory finger at her chest, "I'm the one who got us here in the first place. Neither you - nor Hyewon - had the brains to understand how radiowaves work. I'm the one who brought us here. And you're blaming me now?" I snapped at her, pushing her away from me in a furious state.

"Oh. So you're taking all the credit now, huh?" She scoffed distastefully at me. "You think you're the savior and goddess of us, who is going to bring us all home single-handedly? Shall we all affirm you of your messiah complex, and let you know how much you mean to us?"

"That's not the point, Yena."

"The point is you're being unreasonable. Stop acting like you're the leader."

Why, Imma make some roasted duck on a spit tonight - if my name isn't Miyawaki Sakura.

"I don't think Yena-unnie is blaming you, Sakura-unnie..." Wonyoung tried to mediate, but the two of us elder girls continued to exchange a darting glare at each other. There was something so intense about her gaze, that I was sure it produced static electricity just from staring vehemently into her eyes.

"Stop fighting, the two of you." Chaewon held me away from Yena, as Yuri did the same for the opposing girl. "What we need to do is figure out how to get this thing to work. We need a way to ensure that everyone is holding onto the button and no one is fooling around."

Yena broke away from the tension she had between us, coming up with an idea instantly. "Wonyoung, why don't you walk to check on the four of us to make sure there's no horseplay going on."

She internalised her words, then understood it as she nodded her head.

"I can do that."

"Okay, then go back to your positions, everyone." I called out, still angered by the accusation made on me earlier. How could Yena think it was me, after all I have done for them? Whatever, now we just have to rely on Wonyoung's help.