Chapter 4: A Strong Facade

Hyewon's POV

I sniffed the air. That... It smells good - like the scent of something smoky. Smoked meat, maybe bacon. My tummy rumbled in protest, causing me to stir awake from my sleep. I tried to brush it all away - forcing my body to sink deeper into unconsciousness after a full day of digging through broken equipment and burnt food for fresh supplies. But it had a mind of its own. Soon, I found myself rising to my knees, walking out of the tent, yet being extra careful not to nudge Yuri and Nako awake.

Nako is still trying her best to recuperate from her injury. Today, she still has some difficulty moving across long distances, but there's improvement. Yuri isn't taking it any better. Her head seemed to be all over the place when we went out in search for food. Even in her slumber, her eyebrows creased in place, almost glued to her expression. Something was troubling her, for sure.

Yena.

———

"Hyewon-unnie." A deep and husky voice suddenly came from behind me. As I turned around, my eyes met with the glossy, platinum-silver curls of Yuri's new hairstyle. They were so wavy and always runway-ready - prepared for a photoshoot at a snap of the finger. It's what earned her a page in Vogue Korea for Nov 2020. And after getting her new hairstyle, Elle Korea wants her for the front page for themselves - only her, and no one else.

I can't help to say I'm jealous

I secretly wished I was Yuri.

Alright alright, I'm still very happy for her.

"Ne? What is it?"

"Can I switch places with you on the plane?" She scrunched her lips into a little pouting expression. Her two index fingers touched as she tapped them repeatedly together, anticipating my response to her plea. "I wanna sit next to Yena-unnie..."

I looked down at my ticket on hand. "12B" it states. That means I'm taking the center seat. I'm guessing I'll be sitting in between Yuri and Yena - which is why the little hamster has decided to bug me about it.

"Pleaseeee?" Yuri leaned closer to me with her puppy-like eyes, making me almost smitten in an instant. I took in a deep breath and shallowed forcefully, nodding my head in agreement. "Alright."

"Yayyy! Thanks unnie." Throwing her hands around me, she tiptoed towards my forehead to plant a quick kiss. It caught me off guard, causing me to freeze in place as her warm and luscious lips connected with my sensitive skin. I brushed a hand across her kiss, unable to help but blush at her affectionate behaviour. Before I could speak a single word, she skips over to Yena, who was up ahead beside Eunbi. The two seemed to be having a cordial conversation about something. Yuri butted in between them, clinging her arm around Yena's, whose hand was tucked snugly into the side pocket of her jacket.

Without thinking, I let out a sigh. My lips curled downward in an agonizing frown. I used my left hand subconsciously and lifted it to cover my mouth, trying to wipe away the unfamiliar feeling on my face. What is this feeling? Why am I... upset? There's nothing wrong with members showing each other affection, is there?