New York State of Panic

"ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏɴᴇʟʏ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ

ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴅᴏ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴀʟʟ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ꜰʀᴏᴍ?

ᴀʟʟ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏɴᴇʟʏ ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ

ᴡʜᴇʀᴇ ᴅᴏ ᴛʜᴇʏ ᴀʟʟ ʙᴇʟᴏɴɢ?"

~

MIX TAPE 002

*Asleep- The Smiths

*Eleanor Rigby- The Beatles

*New York State of Mind- Billy Joel

17th December 1987

Salt Lake City, Utah

----------

I couldn't take my eyes off the thick red mixture of blood and water that ran down the sinkhole. I splashed some of the water across my sunken pale complexion before staring in the poorly lit mirror of the convenience store bathroom. It was just after 12 in the afternoon, and I hadn't slept at all. How could I sleep? I wondered if they'd noticed we were gone yet, were they looking for us? Had they found his body? My knuckles turned white, gripping the edge of the sink, holding in a sob. The knock on the door made everything believable again, as I turned opening up to see Petra moving from one foot to another, her arms crossed against the cold. We walked silently back to the car, looking a little better, devoid of blood stains. But the bullet knick to my shoulder and bruises up my arms and legs prevented me from forgetting what went on in that house. I also wondered if any passerby had already called the cops, seeing as we were covered in blood. Billy, who had been on the phone to the airport, walked over to the car giving me a nod. I guess we were going to New York then. I wouldn't tell them, but it was the last place I wanted to go. It had been over a year since I'd visited, and things, weren't so good there.

"Where'd you think Marcus, and Maria went?" Billy asked as the three of us ditched the stolen car, making our way through the airport bustling with travellers

"Where'd you think Marcus, and Maria went?" Billy asked as the three of us ditched the stolen car, making our way through the airport bustling with travellers. Nobody even took a second glance at us. We were just unknowns in this chaotic equation that was the human race. Business trips, holidays, running from the cartel. Nobody knew what anybody was doing there. Nobody cared enough.

 "I'm not sure" I uttered with a small shrug "but we're gonna have to find that out at some point. I need to know if they made it out" God, I hope they had. I was pissed at Maria for starting this all. I was pissed at Marcus for introducing Chester into the equation. But at the end of the day, they were my friends. And friends don't just leave friends alone.

~

It was strange to be sitting between Billy and Petra on a public plane, full of passengers. Maybe I think about things way too much, in the same manner as Marcus, but I just couldn't comprehend these people. Here they were arguing over who got what flavour of frozen yogurt, and then there was the kids behind us, gazing out the window into the sea of clouds in wonder. I usually felt insignificant and a small part of this place when I looked out, but right now we were tied down to earth, by a leash that said death. Billy and Petra muttered aimlessly to each other now and again, about something that they knew didn't matter, but I think they were just trying to think of anything but our situation.