01. A Daunting Notion

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

bella notte
act i , distant memories
chapter one , a daunting notion

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

        "BELLE, YOU'RE AS WHITE as a sheet

"BELLE, YOU'RE AS WHITE as a sheet."

At the sound of her name, Belle's eyes fluttered open to meet the concerned gaze of her uncle.

"Are you sure you feel alright?" Leopold asked, his eyebrows furrowing causing a small crease to appear the space between them which brought a light smile to his niece's lips.

"Don't fret, Uncle." She assured him with that self-same smile, an airy chuckle lacing her tone as she sat up a little straighter. "I assure you it's a mere bout of sea sickness."

She willed herself to fight the strong nausea that filled her chest, and look out the window of the carriage as it progressed along the English countryside. Although, the movement of the carriage as it rocked along the uneven roads did very little to aid her sickness.

"She still hasn't found her sea legs." Her younger brother, Nicholas, chuckled from opposite her - he, of course, had experienced no nausea on the journey.

But, then again, Belle wasn't all too sure that the sickness she felt was solely down to the uneasy journey. Her stomach had been unsettled ever since their plans to return to England had been set in motion.

"Perhaps, we should stop the carriage." Leopold insisted, his eyebrows still furrowed as he followed her gaze out of the window to try and gain an understanding of just where they were on their journey.

"Nonsense, we're nearly there, aren't we?" Belle shook her head adamantly, placing a smile on a features as her eyes landed on large structures in the distance. "I'm sure I can manage."