12. Wallflowers

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

bella notte
act i , distant memories
chapter twelve , wallflowers

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

        "YOUR BROTHER TOOK you where?"

Belle fought to suppress a smile at the horrified tones of Violet Bridgerton, from where she sat at the pianoforte delicately playing through a duet with Daphne, who had been the one to send her mother into such hysterics after having divulged that she had spent her morning at a boxing exhibition.

"He kept close watch the entire time, Mama." Daphne assured her.

"Did you see a real fight, Daphne?" The awe inspired tones of the youngest Grantham entered the fry as Nicholas regarded the Bridgerton girl with a mesmerised look.

"It was not a fight, Nicholas." Daphne replied, the ghost of a smug smile threatening to creep onto her lips. "It was a boxing exhibition."

"It's a sport over here, Nicholas, can you believe it?" Belle chuckled, amused by the wonderstruck look of her younger brother.

"Gentlemen truly are allowed to fight each other for sport?" The young Earl-to-be repeated at which Belle gave an affirming nod. "Maestoso!"

Since their arrival in England, the two Grantham siblings had spent a great deal of their deal at the Bridgerton residence, frequenting the large house almost daily, if not to seek out particularly company, then to dine or have tea or study.

Naturally, the invitation had been extended for the Bridgerton family to visit their own home, however the atmosphere of the Bridgerton house was all too inviting in comparison - hence why when Leopold had announced once morning that he would be leaving for Florence on account of their late father, he had suggested that his niece and nephew board with the Bridgertons instead of idling about in 'that drafty old house of his'.