16. Illicit Affairs

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

bella notte
act i , distant memories
chapter sixteen , illicit affairs

‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ‧

        BELLE WINCED SLIGHTLY as she felt the soft glow of early morning light creep through the small gap in the drapes and gently caress her face, guiding her into consciousness

A peaceful hum left her lips as she slowly blinked open her eyes, her gaze settling on the narrow stream of light as it peaked through the dark blue drapes drawn across the window ...

Dark blue drapes.

Her body tensed a little as she took in her surroundings. The drapes in her room were not dark blue, but instead a deep green — she remembered them being as such due to remarking upon her arrival in the guest chambers of the Bridgerton household how nicely they complimented the hearthrug.

There was also no hearthrug in this room, nor a hearth. It was smaller, still sizeable and pleasant, but smaller than those rooms of the guest wing. She couldn't take in much more of the room without turning her body and disturbing the slumbering man beside her.

Belle pressed her lips together to suppress a small chuckle at the circumstances, his chin was resting in the crook of her neck, her back pressed against her chest from where they curled into one another in their sleep. His arm was thrown across her, keeping her close and warm beneath the bed-sheets.

Her gaze fixated on his hand where it rested gently by her side, upturned slightly so the white outline of his scar from the rose-bush was just visible, she smiled at the sight.

He shuffled slightly beside her, causing her to shake off her tension and relax back into his embrace, feigning a sigh as she closed her eyes once more.

"I know you're awake." A soft voice whispered in her ear, croaking with sleep as a small smirk spread on her lips.

"At least you're not as dense as you look." She mumbled, causing a light laugh to emerge from the man beside, she relished in the feeling of the laughter rumbling in his chest and gentle sound as it rang in her ears.